[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows 386

mah@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Mike Honeycutt) (09/24/88)

Does anyone push Windows 386 to its limits??  My problem:

     I have a Zenith 386 computer with 2 mb ram, 40 mb hard
     disk, MicroSoft Bus Mouse, and Zenith's FTM monitor.
     Windows 386 works find with Microsoft Windows products
     (Write, Notepad, Calendar, Paint programs) and some other
     third party programs but will not consistently work with
     popular programs like WordPerfect, Procomm, Supercalc.
     We have attempted to create PIF's for the programs but
     can't find a combination that works.

I've talked to both Zenith and MicroSoft and both tell me it should
work but the bottom line is it does not.  I know all 386 machines
are not standard and I wonder if software compatibility problems
are common to the other brands as well.  BTW, the machine works
fine when we run programs outside of Windows and works with
Desqview (not perfectly though).  Any thoughts??

I will post a summary if I get any responses.

Mike Honeycutt    UNC Asheville Computer Center   mah@ecsvax.BITNET

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/29/88)

<< Windows 386 on a Zenith problems >>

1.  Make sure that you have the most recent version of Windows.  It
is now up to at least version 2.10 (latest major revsion we have).
The first version we got was 2.03.

2.03 had quite a few bugs.  2.03 would often crash when switching
from one window to another.  It would occasionally crash for no
discernable reason at all (on a model 80 IBM).  We were running
with 2 megs.  We upped to 6 megs (talk about $$ ) and it helped a
lot.

Version 2.10 is also somewhat faster opening Windows, etc.  I
didn't feel like things were terribly faster in actual use,
however.  One thing I've noticed is that trapping of misbehaved
applications that try to write directly to the screen is much
better under 2.10.

Amazingly, 2.10 seems to get along well with most popular TSR
programs.  You can load the TSRs before windows to have them
available in every application.  You can also run a TSR in a
window after loading windows.  The TSR then goes away when the
window closes.  Neat.  That is one of the best features so far.

One thing that still is sorely needed is some sort of window depth
arranger like the Amiga has.  On a "dinky" 16 inch monitor, it
quickly gets to be a hassle trying to wade through a piple of 6 or
so windows.  I'm not terribly enamored of using the ALT-TAB to
toggle the windows.  I don't know why, but the inconification
method in Sunview seems less of a hassle.  At least, if necessary,
the windows can be dealt with without touching the mouse.

All in all, windows has come a long way in the last year or so.

--Bill

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (10/04/88)

In article <1356@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>2.03 had quite a few bugs.  2.03 would often crash when switching
>from one window to another.  It would occasionally crash for no
>discernable reason at all (on a model 80 IBM).

	Yes, I noticed that...

>One thing that still is sorely needed is some sort of window depth
>arranger like the Amiga has.  On a "dinky" 16 inch monitor, it
>quickly gets to be a hassle trying to wade through a piple of 6 or
>so windows.  I'm not terribly enamored of using the ALT-TAB to
>toggle the windows.  I don't know why, but the inconification
>method in Sunview seems less of a hassle.  At least, if necessary,
>the windows can be dealt with without touching the mouse.

	If I understand what you're asking for, the MSWINDOWS enhancement
that I mentioned before, COMMAND POST, does this quite well. I really
think that MSWINDOWS straight out of the box is pretty lame and that something
like COMMAND POST is a minimum to get MSWINDOWS to be friendly enough for my
use. It is shareware. Let me know if you want to grab a copy.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan