[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VCR Hard Disk Backup

jru@arnav.UUCP (John Underwood) (09/30/88)

Does anyone out there know of an interface and software available
to enable hard disk backup from an IBM PC compatible to a video
cassette recorder?

A friend told me he knew of such a system for backing up hard
disks connected to a mainframe computer.

Please reply by posting to this newsgroup, but be sure to include
the word "tape" somewhere in your reply.
--
John Underwood                       at&t : 1-503-684-1600
Arnav Systems, Inc                   uucp : ..!tektronix!nscpdc!arnav!jru

billm@ccicpg.UUCP (Morita Bill) (10/03/88)

In article <940@arnav.UUCP> jru@arnav.UUCP (John Underwood) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of an interface and software available
>to enable hard disk backup from an IBM PC compatible to a video
>cassette recorder?
>
>A friend told me he knew of such a system for backing up hard
>disks connected to a mainframe computer.
>
>Please reply by posting to this newsgroup, but be sure to include
>the word "tape" somewhere in your reply.
>--
>John Underwood                       at&t : 1-503-684-1600
>Arnav Systems, Inc                   uucp : ..!tektronix!nscpdc!arnav!jru
>16100 SW 72nd Ave, P.O. Box 23939; Portland, OR 97223

The there are several available.  The only one that I am personally
familiar with is the AlphaMicro VideoTrax (tm) system.  This system
will backup approximately 30 Mb of file structured data on to a
standard 120 VCR tape at standard play speed.  The device comes in two
forms, a interface board by itself that you plug into a VCR (using a
cheapo VCR is _not_ recommended) for in the neighborhood of $300-$500
or a version that includes a VCR that has been adapted for computer
remote control and status checking (the board only configuration lets
YOU play VCR controller with the computer giving instructions to
rewind, play, record.)  The product is a sound one.  I used to work
for AlphaMicro.  Their technology is good.  Their marketing used to stink.
These units are available throught many Radio Shack outlets.  You can
find an ad for them in BYTE or you can contact AlphaMicro directly
at (714) 957-8500.

It is sad to note that Alpha missed the window on marketing this device.
Alpha had used video technology for years on their own systems.  They
had a working version of this device for the PC's when PC's first
started showing up with 10 Mb and 20 MB hard disks and no sensible way
to back them up.  The marketing department were not satisfied with the
then version of the software, which used a command line interface.  They
demanded and got (at a 2 year delay) a fancy screen/menu version.  They
could have established themselves in a booming backup device market but
blew it.  And ah yes.. History repeats itself.  The recently bungled
and entry into the MAC market that was going through the same sort of
transformation (to hard disks).  They were originally one of 4 or 5
backup devices a one Apple trade show and were voted most interesting
new (hardware) product with interest expressed directly from inside
Apple.  But bungle it again they did.  Then next Apple trade show had
50+ such devices on display an Alpha still does not have a finished
product.

This product does show some promise in one area.   Data broadcast.  The
data can be broadcast over standard video channels.  Such channels exist
even in the most backward of countries and the are time window on
satelite transponders that are dirt cheap.  You can set your recorder
on timed record and retrieved the data later.

Hope this helps.  Sorry for venting my spleen here about the
blunders of my previous manangement, but I think it makes an interesting
historical note.

Bill Morita

Howard.Spindel@busker.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (10/04/88)

>From: jru@arnav.UUCP (John Underwood)
>Date: 29 Sep 88 17:23:42 GMT
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>Does anyone out there know of an interface and software available
>to enable hard disk backup from an IBM PC compatible to a video
>cassette recorder?
>A friend told me he knew of such a system for backing up hard
>disks connected to a mainframe computer.
>Please reply by posting to this newsgroup, but be sure to include
>the word "tape" somewhere in your reply
Such a system is available.  Check the ads in various mags.  I can't
swear to it but it seems to me the name of the company that made it is
Alpha Micro.  I also seem to remember reading a review of it which was
either in BYTE or PC Tech Journal, but not too recently.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!Howard.Spindel