[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP DESKJET PRINTER INFORMATION

pwong@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Wong) (09/30/88)

I am considering the HP Deskjet printer.  Does anyone have any comments
on best price and software compatibility?  I need to know if Lotus 1-2-3
and other popular software is compatible.

Thanks in Advance,

Pat Wong
ATT Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihuxv!pwong

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (09/30/88)

In article <2883@ihuxv.ATT.COM>, pwong@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Wong) writes:
> I am considering the HP Deskjet printer.  Does anyone have any comments
> on best price and software compatibility?  I need to know if Lotus 1-2-3
> and other popular software is compatible.
>
> Pat Wong

Much of my early wild enthusiasm for the DeskJet has been replaced with
a grudging enthusiasm.  The print quality is close to, but not quite
as good as, an HP LaserJet.  For originals, it does a very good job,
but photocopying starts to show the disadvantages of ink-jet technology
vs. laser printers.

The fonts are very nice, but you have the same severely restricted
combinations of fonts that the LaserJet has (PostScript has spoiled
me, I guess).

As an alternative to a 24-pin dot matrix printer, it's a wonderful choice,
as long as you don't need multi-part form printing, and can live with
the very limited input paper supply.  As an alternative to an HP LaserJet,
it seems like spending the extra $1000 is well worth it.

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

dtl@hpihoah.HP.COM (Dean Lindsay) (10/01/88)

I have and use the Deskjet frequently, and love it.  I have
found that any software with HP Laserjet support will also
work with the DeskJet.  The LaserJet is a PCL III printer, the
LaserJet+ and LaserJet II and DeskJet are all PCL IV level
printers, and therefore all understand the same command
language.

I use the DeskJet with Lotus 123 and it works fine.

(I work for HP but not for the printer division--just a
satisfied DeskJet user)

yuval@taux02.UUCP (Gideon Yuval) (10/02/88)

In article <9330006@hpihoah.HP.COM> dtl@hpihoah.HP.COM (Dean Lindsay) writes:
>work with the DeskJet.  The LaserJet is a PCL III printer, the
>LaserJet+ and LaserJet II and DeskJet are all PCL IV level
>printers, and therefore all understand the same command
>language.

Where do I get documentation on PCL III and PCL IV?
--
Gideon Yuval, yuval@taux01.nsc.com, +972-2-690992 (home) ,-52-522255(work)
 Paper-mail: National Semiconductor, 6 Maskit St., Herzliyah, Israel

neff@hpvcla.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (10/04/88)

To clear up a possible previous misconception:  The DeskJet will work with
MANY but not "ANY" LaserJet driver.  Specifically, the DeskJet fonts have
different proportional space widths, the DeskJet has a very specific (complex)
mixed text and graphics algorithm since it is not a page printer, and certain
data compression "tricks" done by many LaserJet graphics drivers results
in horrible graphics performance (the DeskJet will print one dot row per pass).
The DeskJet has documented run length data compression support that the
LaserJet does not handle.  Furthermore the DeskJet has a different soft font
format.  Hence LaserJet drivers for fixed pitch fonts and straight 300 DPI
graphics (no "tricks") will work on the DeskJet. The main graphics "trick" is
modifying the graphics margins to prevent sending lots of null bytes
(works find on LaserJet, results in awful performance on DeskJet).

Many drivers come with the DeskJet, including Lotus, MS Word, WordPerfect, and
MS Windows.  Many other drivers are available on request.  For a printer
as new as the DeskJet software support at this point is really quite good.
Always use the DeskJet driver if possible -- don't rely on LaserJet drivers.

As a previous posting indicated, the DeskJet is mainly for people on a 24
wire printer budjet who would like the quality of a laser printer.  The
print quality of the DeskJet is good, but it does vary over different
paper types.  On high grade bond paper it is quite comparable to a laser
printer, and in some cases, better.  On some cheap copy paper, the print
quality is awful.  Laser printers also have variation in quality with
paper type, but not to the same degree as the DeskJet.  You have to be
careful to try a brand of copy paper before you order the paper in any
volume.

As for prices, I have seen mail order at around $600.  Anything in
this range is good.  Many people say spend the extra money to get a
laser printer, and if you have need for high volume printing I would
agree.  But remember, when comparing DeskJet prices with laser printer
prices be sure to compare street price of a DeskJet with street price
of a laser printer with 1 meg of RAM.  The DeskJet can do a page of
300 DPI graphics with no extra RAM.  A LaserJet II with 1 MEG of RAM
retails for about $3300 and a street price of a bit over $2000.

Having written the DeskJet Epson cartridge, Landscape cartridge, and other
firmware I use DeskJet printers constantly at home and at work and think
it is a great printer.  As for people "loosing their enthusiasm", I
don't know, but already DeskJet has about 4% of the printer market according
to industry magazines.  I do know we have, and are, selling quite a few
each month.

Dave Neff
att!hpfcla!hpvcla!neff

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (10/04/88)

in article <2883@ihuxv.ATT.COM>, pwong@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Pat Wong) says:
> I am considering the HP Deskjet printer.  Does anyone have any comments
> on best price and software compatibility?  I need to know if Lotus 1-2-3
> and other popular software is compatible.

In most software the printer can be used with the HP-LaserJet (+ or II)
driver (and most software has such a thing surely?), but NOT if you use
landscape (sideways) printing (although the DeskJet DOES support 33cpi
for spreadsheets) and NOT if the software uses download-character-fonts.
<Jan>