[comp.sys.ibm.pc] micro-emacs, disappearing cursor

wirun@.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) (10/03/88)

    Has anyone ever had the problem of losing the cursor with microemacs
V3.9 for the PC in EGA mode? Normal text mode works fine and everything else
works fine while in EGA mode. I've got an Everex Micro-Enhancer card.

    Ideally, a patch of some kind would be nice, but ......

Thanks loads.

"This of course is impossible" - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    cwirun@uncaedu.BITNET   wirun@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
            (one of those SHOULD work!)

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/04/88)

>    Has anyone ever had the problem of losing the cursor with microemacs
>V3.9 for the PC in EGA mode? Normal text mode works fine and everything else
>works fine while in EGA mode. I've got an Everex Micro-Enhancer card.

>    Ideally, a patch of some kind would be nice, but ......

>Thanks loads.
Are you sure you aren't using Desqview or Windows? I have had the problem
there (only). I haven't found a cure, but I do offer the following
horrible kludge: your cursor will reappear when you move it.

ibmmove(row, col)
{
        rg.h.ah = 1;            /* set cursor size function code */
        rg.x.cx = 0x0407;       /* turn cursor on code */
        int86(0x10, &rg, &rg);

        rg.h.ah = 2;            /* set cursor position function code */
        rg.h.dl = col;
        rg.h.dh = row;
        rg.h.bh = 0;            /* set screen page number */
        int86(0x10, &rg, &rg);
}
This is in ibmpc.c

Doug McDonald

link@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (10/05/88)

In article <45900162@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>    Has anyone ever had the problem of losing the cursor with microemacs

I've had a similar problem with another editor. My system has CGA.
Evidently, many programs 'steal' the cursor, and do not always correctly
restore on exit.

PC Magazine published a solution a while ago (November 24, 1987, page 349).
STICK.COM forces the cursor back to its original attributes after
executing such a mis-behaved program. Also, the previous issue describes
a program CTYPE.COM which can be used to set the cursor to any desired
shape.

These work using CGA/EGA. I don't know about VGA.

STICK.COM should be run when booting (put it in your AUTOEXEC.BAT list).

Dr. Richard Link
Space Sciences Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley