[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Good MSWINDOWS comm program ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (09/29/88)

	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation
(Tek 401X graphics emulation would be a real plus), [XYZ]MODEM and
KERMIT protocols and be able to fully operate multitasking and sustain
at least 2400baud up/downloads as a background task/window.
	I know that standard apps PROCOMM, PC/INTERCOMM and probably
KERMIT will work with WINDOWS 386, but I don't think they can hack
the background I/O requirements.
	Too bad that MSWINDOWS TERMINAL is so lame. I do know of a
method for using TERMINAL in conjunction with the DSZ (ZMODEM) comm
program to more or less get the job done, background downloads and all,
but isn't there a better way ?
	Please reply by email. Thanks.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) (09/29/88)

From article <275@rna.UUCP>, by dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o):

> 	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

        I would also be interested. I did find one on a BBS that only ran
on 1.03 ver of Windows.  I am looking for one for ver 2.?.

        S Alavi
        ...att!uwmcsd1!mrsvr!ssa
        414)547-9429
        414)521-6607 (work)

stephen@stratus.UUCP (Stephen Au-Yeung) (10/01/88)

From article <275@rna.UUCP>, by dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o):

> 	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

    I'm also interested!  Thanks!
					Stephen Au-Yeung
					408-725-4236
					..!{amdahl,oliveb}!stratus!stephen

DOHC@TUCCVM.BITNET (Bob Roberds) (10/03/88)

>>         Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
>> MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation

>        I would also be interested. I did find one on a BBS that only ran
>on 1.03 ver of Windows.  I am looking for one for ver 2.?.

The PD program Proteus is slowly, oh so slowly, attaining goodness.  I
believe that it works under Windows 2 now, supports vt100/ansi and a
number of good (ie, beyond Xmodem) transfer protocols.

c60c-4au@e260-4b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (10/03/88)

In article <275@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a good communications program that is FULLY
>MSWINDOWS compatible ? It should have at least ANSI/VT100 emulation
>(Tek 401X graphics emulation would be a real plus), [XYZ]MODEM and
>KERMIT protocols and be able to fully operate multitasking and sustain
>at least 2400baud up/downloads as a background task/window.
>	I know that standard apps PROCOMM, PC/INTERCOMM and probably
>KERMIT will work with WINDOWS 386, but I don't think they can hack
>the background I/O requirements.

Well, on my 10 MHz V-20 IBM XT clone, I was able to run Procomm Plus v1.1A
under MS-Windows 2.03 and do downloads in background at 2400 baud.  This
did slow down my system quite a bit, but it did work fine.  If your system
is a faster machine, like a AT or 386 machine, then 2400 baud should be
no problem.  Note: I used the ProComm Plus protocols (Ymodem Batch I think),
but you can also use DSZ with MS-Windows fine.

If you want a Windows-specific application, then Proteus is supposed to be
pretty decent, but I don't have it and can't give any more information right
now.  If I find an address, I will E-Mail it to you.

--
Erik Talvola					| "The soul I took from you
c60c-4au@web.berkeley.edu			|  was not even missed..."

rob@sun.soe (Rob Logan) (10/04/88)

From article <123DOHC@TUCCVM>, by DOHC@TUCCVM.BITNET (Bob Roberds):
> The PD program Proteus is slowly, oh so slowly, attaining goodness.  I
> believe that it works under Windows 2 now, supports vt100/ansi and a
> number of good (ie, beyond Xmodem) transfer protocols.

an old version of proteus and a windows compatable kermit (winkrm.exe)
are avalible anonymous ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu /pub/pc/mswindows
(there is also some 30 other windows programs). This directory is NOT
avalible through the archive-server...

				Rob

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (the from line might be messed up.)

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (10/06/88)

Good old Crosstalk XVI works fine in an MS Window. In fact I am reading
news and writing this reply in an MS Window right now.

     Les.

--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI