[comp.sys.ibm.pc] A Strange DOS problem

ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Missing Person) (10/02/88)

Last night I was looking through some floppy disks and at one point
DOS insisted that the disk I had put in drive a: didn't have any files on it.
i.e. :
Volume in drive a: has no lable
Derectory of a:\file not found

   When it told me this, it hadn't even spun the drive. It just kept
insisting that the disk(s) in a: didn't have any files until I re-booted.
Anyone ever seen this problem?  My guess is that my controller has gone
bad.

--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (10/03/88)

In article <1443@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Missing Person) writes:
>Last night I was looking through some floppy disks and at one point
>DOS insisted that the disk I had put in drive a: didn't have any files on it.
>i.e. :
>Volume in drive a: has no lable
>Derectory of a:\file not found
>
>   When it told me this, it hadn't even spun the drive. It just kept
>insisting that the disk(s) in a: didn't have any files until I re-booted.
>Anyone ever seen this problem?  My guess is that my controller has gone
>bad.
>--
>Brett G. Person
>North Dakota State University
>uunet!ndsuvax!ncperson | ncperson@ndsuvax.bitnet

The closest I have come to seeing this problem is the case of a Hyundai
machine running MS-DOS 3.3 where the directory listing of the floppy on
the 3.5" drive always showed the contents of the *first* floppy that was
put in it.  No matter what floppy you put in it.

The problem was solved by substituting the generic MS-DOS 3.3 with
Hyundai-MS-DOS 3.2.

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP: att!ihuxy!vg55611
Others: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com

you put in the 3.5" drive, it was

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (10/06/88)

<
<   When it told me this, it hadn't even spun the drive. It just kept
<insisting that the disk(s) in a: didn't have any files until I re-booted.
<Anyone ever seen this problem?  My guess is that my controller has gone
<bad.

We have had this problem when a diskette ended up with a little different
boot record format.  It cause an error that wouldn't let us use the drive
again until we rebooted.  Maybe you had such a diskette.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown