[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Borland Educational Discount

mjs@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Marc J. Sabatella) (11/04/87)

>Borland has a very generous educational discount policy, with
>prices for TC and TP at $40, available.  The catch is you have
>to be a student or faculty member.  They verify your status by
>having you either send them evidence (eg. copy of term bill) or
>by sending you stuff at a university address.

	Is this for real?  When did this policy start, and WHY DON'T THEY
PUBLICIZE THIS??????????????????????????

Marc Sabatella
mjs@ernie.Berkeley.EDU

tdt@sfsup.UUCP (11/12/87)

>>Borland has a very generous educational discount policy, with
>>prices for TC and TP at $40, available.  The catch is you have
>>to be a student or faculty member.

Well I don't know about others on the net - but I wouldn't pay $40
for Turbo Pascal; I bought mine for $27, and I paid under $50 for
Turbo-C.

So, that is obviously not that great a deal (especially for Turbo
Pascal.)

--------
____________   ____/--\____
\______  ___) (   _    ____)     "Damn it Jim!,
     __\ \____/  / `--'            I'm a programmer not a Doctor!"
     )           `|=(-
     \------------'
   Timothy D. Thomas	     		AT&T Information Systems/Communications
   ..!{ihnp4,allegra}!attunix!tdt	tdt@sfsup.att.com

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (10/14/88)

In article <6407@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
| In article <323@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
| | Anyone associated with a college or university can purchase Turbo C 2.0
| | for $49.95, and/or Turbo Debugger+Assembler for $49.95 from Borland's
| | Educational Sales.  (408) 438-8400
| |

| Are people sure about this? I talked to a Borland representative a few weeks
| ago, at a trade show, and was told that the educational discount was only
| applicable to those taking classes using the compilers...

The deal is that professors can request discount coupons for their
students for all Borland products, by sending a request on school
stationary. Some university computer centers also buy products at
educational discount from Borland. University _bookstores_ can no
longer do so for some capitalistic reason that escapes me right now.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Borland whatsoever nor do I
claim to speak for them.

+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
                                               #include <disclaimer.h>

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (10/14/88)

In article <40268@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:

[comment and response about Borland's educational discount deleted]

>                                   University _bookstores_ can no
>longer do so for some capitalistic reason that escapes me right now.

It's probably an attempt to restrict educational-discount sales to
_real_ students. As long as you pay cash, most university bookstores
don't care whether you're a student or not. As a case in point, a
couple of years ago, shortly after I graduated from SDSU, I went back
to their bookstore to purchase a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 V2.01, because
the $160 price they were selling it for was a far better deal than any
other computer store offered.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa