[comp.sys.ibm.pc] plotter to postscript?

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (10/07/88)

I'm using a CAD package that doesn't understand postscript but
can drive several different plotters. Are there any programs
that can do a translation? I can drive the following plotters:

1) HP-GL, as implemented in HP7475/7580/7585

2) Houston Instrument PC695/DMP40/41/51/52

3) Roland/Taxan DXY880 and 710.

I want to drive an Apple LaserWriter.

Free would be best but I'm willing to pay.

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

thomas@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Richard A. Thomas) (10/09/88)

The commercially available program  PSPlot  will covert HPGL files to
Postscript.  It also includes several other utilities, for example,
it can convert Postscript procedures into Encapsulated PostScript
files, display the names of all resident fonts in your printer, convert
ASCII files to PostScript, and change the port and printer setups.

It is sold by

  Legend Communications, Inc.
  54 Rosedale Ave.
  Brampton, Ontario, CANADA
  (416) 450-1010

I don't work for them and don't know anyone who does; I'm just a satisfied
customer.

                                                Richard Thomas

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/13/88)

In article <644@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, thomas@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Richard A. Thomas) writes:

> The commercially available program  PSPlot  will covert HPGL files to
> Postscript.  It also includes several other utilities, for example,
> it can convert Postscript procedures into Encapsulated PostScript
> files, display the names of all resident fonts in your printer, convert
> ASCII files to PostScript, and change the port and printer setups.
>
>                                                 Richard Thomas

There is also a PD program to convert HPGL to PostScript, which I
can send to anyone that's interested.  It doesn't support the full
language, but it does include source, and seems to work adequately
for our needs.

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/14/88)

!!
!
!There is also a PD program to convert HPGL to PostScript, which I
!can send to anyone that's interested.  It doesn't support the full
!language, but it does include source, and seems to work adequately
!for our needs.

As the original requester I would like to thank Clayton and the
several others who sent me a copy of the free (not PD, the author
restricts selling the package) program. However, it does not perform
for my application "as is". The characters all appear to have
problems, and scaling is not implemented. I plan to look into fixing
some of these problems but for me, it may be more productive to buy
the commercial package.

I did try the test file and it came out beautifully. Too bad my files
don't.

So, Richard, thank you for your article on PSPlot.