[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm problem that Bitcom solves...

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/11/88)

I'm having a recurrent problem with Procomm (V2.4.2) that prevents
me from designating it as "acceptable" and was hoping to get some
help with it.

I have an Everex 2400 internal modem in a 386AT and I'm trying to
call an Everex 2400 external modem at work. I use the autodial
feature of Procomm. THe call starts off normally - dialtone, tones
to "dial" the 'phone number, carrier tones from remote modem.
However, the call fails to complete and when I pick up the handset
to find out what's going on I hear no remote carrier and only what
seems to me to be very distorted tones or noisy trash on the line
from the local modem. This repeats each time I try to connect with
Procomm.

Using Bitcom, however, the connection succeeds. Subsequently,
I can terminate the logon, exit Bitcom, try Procomm again and it works!
It appears that Bitcom is modifying the operation of the local modem
(perhaps decreasing it's output amplitude?) but I'm unable to find
out how or why.

I've not done much with either program other than provide the Dialer
directoy database for each.

If you've had this or a similar problem, and especially if you've
solved it, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.

keith

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383   Beaverton OR 97077    (503)627-6042
UUCP:	[uunet|ucbvax|decvax|hplabs]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
ARPA:	keithe%tekgvs.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet:	keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (10/14/88)

In article <4064@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> I have an Everex 2400 internal modem in a 386AT and I'm trying to
> call an Everex 2400 external modem at work. I use the autodial
> feature of Procomm. THe call starts off normally - dialtone, tones
> to "dial" the 'phone number, carrier tones from remote modem.
> However, the call fails to complete and when I pick up the handset
> to find out what's going on I hear no remote carrier and only what
> seems to me to be very distorted tones or noisy trash on the line
> from the local modem. This repeats each time I try to connect with
> Procomm.
>
> Using Bitcom, however, the connection succeeds. Subsequently,
> I can terminate the logon, exit Bitcom, try Procomm again and it works!
> It appears that Bitcom is modifying the operation of the local modem
> (perhaps decreasing it's output amplitude?) but I'm unable to find
> out how or why.

> Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
> Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383   Beaverton OR 97077    (503)627-6042
> UUCP:	[uunet|ucbvax|decvax|hplabs]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
> ARPA:	keithe%tekgvs.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
> CSNet:	keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM

I'd suggest that you try taking a look at the modem initialization strings
being used by each package.  I know that ProComm will let you do this, although
it's been quite a while since I've actually used ProComm.  I presume that
Bitcom will allow the same thing.  Compare the two initialization strings.
If different, try making the one for ProComm to be the same as the one for
Bitcom.  That's my best guess.
Paul Gomme            Bitnet: p.gomme@uwovax.bitnet  ARPA: p.gomme@uwo.ca