[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Call waiting and modems??

sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) (10/05/88)

I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
helpful.

                                                    SJF Lim.

imacbeath@lion.waterloo.edu (Ian MacBeath, Conrad Grebel College) (10/05/88)

sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
>what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
>worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
>out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
>when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
>my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
>waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
>helpful.

I have asked Bell Canada about it and they said that there was no way
to temporarily disable Call Waiting.  I also asked if there were any
plans to implement such a feature because I had heard that dialing
"#70" or "*70" did disable Call Waiting with some other telephone
companies (BC Tel and AT&T seem to stick in my mind), but they replied
with "no plans that I am aware of".

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (10/05/88)

There is a solution.  Get three-way calling service.  Before you
call the host, call up a number that is always busy.  Every area
has these.  Or call a number that won't answer.  This defeats call
waiting.  At least it used to in NYC.  Then call the host.

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

cpp90221@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (10/06/88)

From article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM):
> I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
> what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
> worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
> out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
> when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
> my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
> helpful.
>
>                                                     SJF Lim.
In our offices it takes a special request to our in-house communication
office to get it removed. You did not meniton if it was the Phone Co.'s
call waiting or an in-house one. Our system will allow us to re-direct
any calls that come in while our phone is busy to another phone. When I
use this feature, any incomming call while I am using my modem are re-directed
WITHOUT causing the data-destroying beep on my line.

Duane L. Rezac

--
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac        |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of  |

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (10/06/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
=> I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
=> what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
=> worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
=> out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
=> when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
=> my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
=> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
=> helpful.

Check the front of your phone book.  There are instructions for disabling
the Call Waiting beep.  On page 8 of the Reading, PA phone book Tone*Block
is explained.  If I dial a '* 7 0' before I make a call I will not be
interrupted by the beep.  Call waiting is automatically reactivated on the
next call.
You can probably disable Call Waiting with your communications program
by defining one of the Long Distance access characters as this.
--

:-{)     Remember, no matter where you go, there you are! (Pig Killer)     (}-:

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

carlson@murpho.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (10/06/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
>out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
>                                                    SJF Lim.
I have read (somewhere) that with the phone system we have here
in Northern VA/Washington you can disable the call waiting by dialing
a certain code (# or * combined with 2 digits).  However, I don't have
call waiting so I've never had any reason to try it.  We are serviced
by C&P Telephone, a Bell Atlantic Company, but I don't know what model
of switch they use.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org

ajaym@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Jay Mitchell) (10/06/88)

> There is a solution.  Get three-way calling service.  Before you
> call the host, call up a number that is always busy.  Every area
> has these.  Or call a number that won't answer.  This defeats call
> waiting.  At least it used to in NYC.  Then call the host.

Dialing *70 is alot simpler than getting 3way calling just for
this.  I have heard that this *70 doesnt work in Canada but I
dont know this for sure.
--
				    -------------------------
					Jay Mitchell

ted@hcr.UUCP (Ted Law) (10/06/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
>what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
>worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
>out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
>when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
>my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
>waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
>helpful.
>
>                                                    SJF Lim.

The modem disconnects because the call waiting beep interrupts the carrier
that the modem is constantly monitoring.  I think there is a software
changeable parameter on the modem that controls the number of deci-seconds
to delay on loss of carrier before the modem hangs up.  Changing this
parameter to a value that is longer than the call waiting beep should make
your modem ignore any incoming call, even though you will still get
a few garbage characters on your terminal.

Ted Law			{utzoo,utcsri}!hcr!ted
HCR Corporation		(416)922-1937
Toronto, Canada

prime@druhi.ATT.COM (Anthony Davis) (10/06/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
> (...stuff deleted). Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
> helpful.
>
>                                                     SJF Lim.
Sure, just dial the disabling feature access code before dialing the number
to your host; for example:
	HOST #: 555-5555
	FROM YOUR MODEM: *70%555 5555%%

The "*70" disables call waiting for that session ONLY! Once you hang up,
call waiting will be enabled automatically. BTW, the "%" character I used
in the above example is the command for my modem to pause for 5 seconds.
Enjoy your uninterrupted computer session!

Tony Davis
AT&T Bell Labs, Denver Co.
net:   att!druhi!prime

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (10/07/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
>Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
>waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?  Any input will be
>helpful.

Where I live (Cambridge, MA) we have what is known as selective call waiting
(via New England Telephone).  This allows you to turn off call waiting for
the next call that you make.  It is a sequence of buttons on the phone.  So
all that I had to do was enter this sequence via the modem before entering
the phone call and then call waiting was disabled for that call.  It is a
nice feature.  Talk to your local phone company to see if they support it.
                                                      Marc
----
       ... I never saw the morning until I stayed up all night ...
                               Tom Waits

Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

gauss@homxc.UUCP (E.GAUSS) (10/07/88)

In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
> I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
> what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
> worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
> out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.

I ran a similar question though an AT&T internal bboard.  There is no simple
fix.  Depending upon which telephone equipment is in your local telephone
plant, and how it is marketed, you can get a feature that will enable you
to turn off call-waiting while your computer call is up.  Then your friend
gets the hated busy tone.  If call-waiting is active, your host is going
to disconnect when the circuit between your modem and the host is opened
while the call-waiting bleep is injected.

Now if your local phone company has ISDN and you have an ISDN line, the
whole problem goes away.

Ed Gauss
  Advanced Planning
  AT&T

johne@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Eaton) (10/07/88)

<<
< Check the front of your phone book.  There are instructions for disabling
< the Call Waiting beep.  On page 8 of the Reading, PA phone book Tone*Block
< is explained.  If I dial a '* 7 0' before I make a call I will not be
< interrupted by the beep.  Call waiting is automatically reactivated on the
< next call.
----------
That's nice if you are making the call but what if you are receiving it? A
lot of places where security is an issue use call back systems where you
call and give your id code and the computer calls you back. Is there any
way to disable Call waiting on an incoming call?

John Eaton

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (10/07/88)

In article <8379@mhuxu.UUCP>, jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) writes:
> In article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM) writes:
> => Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> => waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?
>
> Check the front of your phone book.  There are instructions for disabling
> the Call Waiting beep.  On page 8 of the Reading, PA phone book Tone*Block
> is explained.

This subject has come up in the newgroups related to telephony, and it
appears that some telephone companies have the ability to turn it off
while others do not.  In this area (Waterloo), they apparently do not.

On the one hand, it would be nice to disable it so it didn't interfere
with file transfers and so no.  On the other hand, the fact that calls
will get through even when my computer is using the line is a feature as
far as my wife is concerned.  I guess it's a mixed blessing.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

ward@eplrx7.UUCP (Rick Ward) (10/07/88)

Here in Bell of Pa Land you can disable Call Waiting by pressing *70.
This gives you a dial tone, and incoming calls will get a busy signal.

Rick
--
    Rick Ward                         |        E.I. Dupont Co.
    uunet!eplrx7!ward                 |        Engineering Physics Lab
                                      |        Mail Stop: E357-302

alexc@psu-cs.UUCP (Alex M. Chan.) (10/08/88)

In article <40691@linus.UUCP> carlson@murpho.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson)....

If you are using a touch tone system, then the usual code to disable
call waiting function for this call is *70
if you have got only the rotory system then try 1170
it works for me. ( I have US West Communications " Pacific NW Bell " here )

This suggest that if you are using a Hayes comp. ( I assume ) modem with
touch tone system then the modem initial string would be somthing like
this    ATDT*70,,

Hope this would be of some help. But pleaase check with the telephone
company if this fails.

Sincerely,

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) (10/10/88)

From article <8876@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by sjflim@trillium.waterloo.edu (SJF LIM):
> I have a Call waiting feature installed on my phone, (assume everybody knows
> what is Call waiting), this is a very nice feature because I don't have to
> worry about "busy" tone to the person who is calling me.  Until I've found
> out that Calling waiting and modem cannot exist together.  The problem is
> when someone calls and I am using modem the telephone signal will disconnect
> my modem from the phoneline.  Is there anyway that I can by pass the Call
> waiting feature or temperory disconnect this feature?
>                                                     SJF Lim.

	I was able to disable call waiting ONLY on outgoing calls,
which is when my modem placed the call, NOT when some computer calls
my modem.  What I did was dial *70 before the phone number I was
calling, and this tells the phone company that for this call you're
placing right now, call waiting should be disabled, and re-enabled
after you hang up.  But as I said before, if another modem places a
call to your modem and you're receiving/transmitting data and a call
comes for your phone, you'll be disconnected.

--
+/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\+
>           Dani Kadoch  --  R&D director  @  Computer Science House         <
>                      Rochester Institute of Technology                     <
>  UUCP:rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!dani    MCIMail:dani    BITNET:dnk8842@ritvax <

brevard@mcc.com (Laurence Brevard) (10/11/88)

According to the Southwestern Bell Telephone Directory for Greater Austin,
December 1987-December 1988 on Page 8...

Call Waiting

<deleted most of the instructions on how to use call waiting>

5. Cancel Call Waiting -- Allows you to temporarily cancel the Call Waiting
signal.  Before you make your call, lift the receiver, if you have a
push-button phone, depress the star button (*) then 70, if you have a
rotary phone dial 1170.  Then dial the phone number.  Anyone calling your
number will get a busy signal.  Cancel Call Waiting is automatically
terminated after each call.  (This service is not available in all areas.)

6. If you also subscribe to Three-Way Calling, you can use Cancel Call
Waiting after you receive a call.  Just depress the switchhook, placing the
person you're talking with on hold,.  If you have a push-button phone,
depress the star button (*) then 70.  Depress the switchhook again and you
can talk without interruptions.  (This service is not available in all
areas.)

I'm amazed at how many technical people don't know, but, then again, did
YOU ever sit down and read the phone book!  I only did after having the
call waiting problem with my first ever modem.  Somehow I decided to READ
THE INSTRUCTIONS on Call Waiting.  I was amazed to see this information.
BTW: It did work.  I'm no longer in an exchange that has Call Waiting.
--
Laurence Brevard @ MCC VLSI CAD Program                           [512] 338-3567
P.O. Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 or 3500 W.Balcones Center Dr., Austin,TX 78759

moodyblu@bucc2.UUCP (10/11/88)

I know that in Michigan, *70 does not work in all areas. It only works in areas that have ESS, or Electronic Switching System. When I called the operator she
did not know what the heck I was talking about with the *70. Eventually
however, everyone should have it....

                 - moodyblu -
                 - Sysop of Milliways -
                 - 313-553-9274 - 1200/2400 Baud -
                 - 230MB ON-LINE - Fidonet 120/16 -

jeff@bucc2.UUCP (10/12/88)

moodyblu@bucc2.UUCP writes:

> I know that in Michigan, *70 does not work in all areas. It only works in
> areas that have ESS, or Electronic Switching System.

Am I missing something here (or is he)?  Areas not served by ESS don't have
Call Waiting anyway (do they?), so why is this relevant?

cpp90221@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (10/13/88)

From article <32100045@bucc2>, by moodyblu@bucc2.UUCP:

> I know that in Michigan, *70 does not work in all areas. It only works in areas that have ESS, or Electronic Switching System. When I called the operator she
> did not know what the heck I was talking about with the *70. Eventually
> however, everyone should have it....

I have seen a lot of traffic on this subject. One thing to keep in mind is
that there are many diffrent systems out there. Not all of the call waiting
functions are proveded by *bell or whatever. We have an internal phone system
here, and the call waiting is controlled by our telephone people in house,
independant of *bell. I think that the best approche is to contact whoever
is responsible for *YOUR* phone system and discuss the problem. All I had to
do to disable call waiting was to contact our in-house telephone section, and
they re-programed my phone to eliminate it.

p.s. IF you have a similar system to mine, AND if it allows call forwarding,
     you may be able to temporarily defeate call waiting by forwarding all
     calls to a nearby number while you are on the modem(assuming you're at
     work and have another phone nearby :-)

Duane L. Rezac

|  What!!   Call a BBS or Unix System from Home!!! ...                    |
|        Then What would I do at Work :-)                                 |

dennis@raphel.UUCP (Dennis Vogel) (10/15/88)

In article <32100045@bucc2>, moodyblu@bucc2.UUCP writes:

> I know that in Michigan, *70 does not work in all areas. It only works in areas that have ESS, or Electronic Switching System. When I called the operator she

I was under the impression that Call Waiting was a feature available
only on ESS switches.  If that is true, then the *70 should also be
available unless it is not sold for some reason.  Am I missing
something here?

Dennis R. Vogel    AT&T Bell Laboratories    Somerset, NJ