[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SpreadSheets for the PC?

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (10/14/88)

I am interested in what spreadsheets there are available for the PC either
Public Domain or for a low cost.  I need to be able to write an ASCII
columnar file with the results calculated by the sheet, or it must support
quality output to a printer or plotter (preferably a plotter). Please
respond by e-mail since I am not a regular comp.sys.ibm.pc netter.
thanks
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

pjw@usna.MIL (Peter Welcher ) (10/17/88)

In article <1581@pur-phy>, murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) writes:

> I am interested in what spreadsheets there are available for the PC either
> Public Domain or for a low cost.  I need to be able to write an ASCII

This is not altogether altruistic, but I'd like to think it's
a good deal:
I've authored a cheap but quite potent spreadsheet for the PC.
It is available from Holt, Rinehart & Winston or Dryden Press, I
believe for around $30. You may also find it in college bookstores.
It is keystroke/macro/file compatible with Lotus(TM) 2.01 and has been
out for a while ("no known bugs"). It is NOT a limited student version,
it is a lot easier than you-know-who to install, and it does
not require a separate program to print graphs.
For what it's worth, we have a Macintosh version that is available
NOW, quite Mac-ish but also macro compatible ... .

Peter J. Welcher, pjw@usna.mil
spending this semester at: Goldstein Software Inc., (301) 622-9020.

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (10/19/88)

Here we are heavily using Farsight, a very cheap integrated software
coming with a spreadsheet and a word processor for 99$. For us Europeans
it is very important that it is not only in english available but also
in German, French, Spanish, Italian and some other languages. It is sold
by Interface Technologies Corp., 3336 Richmond, Suite 323, Houston TX
77098-9990, Tel. (713) 523-8422. The support of this company was
astonishingly good, as good as the product itself. We are told that
until the end of this year there should be even more "components" for
Farsight, including an interface for Modula-2 programmers to include
their own programs in the window environment of Farsight.

Albert Meier