[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PROCOMM 242 question.

res@ptsfa.UUCP (02/11/88)

Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?

--

Thanks, Bob Stockwell
pacbell!ptsfa!res

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bob, Mon) (02/12/88)

res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?

I don't think so, but you can start up a subshell and do (almost) anything
you want within it.  (Alt-F4 key.)

If you really want to dump Procomm, you could:
	1) Use the widely-available Mark program, before starting Procomm.
	2) Do your thing in Procomm, then fire up the subshell.
	3) In the subshell, Release the mark.  This will presumably free all
	   the occupied memory above the mark, including Procomm (and the
	   subshell).
If you try this, post the results.  (I.e., I have _not_ tried it, I don't have
a strong intuition about what will happen, and I make no promises whatever.)
--
You TOO Can Defeat The 4-Line .signature Limit And Be Obnoxious To Your Friends And Neighbours!!!!!								...---...									Charles Cabbage on the Difference Engine running SE grade 10W40 at UKnoWhere	Babble@diffEQ	bob,mon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu	Chucky on Ada	The Slide Rules!"Spaceship Earth!  There IS no substitute!"

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (02/13/88)

Re: no-hangup when stopping ProComm

Try looking at the modem configuration menus.  I believe that you will find
that there is an item related to a "shutdown" string to be sent to your
modem.  If I am correct, change the string to avoid resetting the modem.
This should prevent the "hang-up".

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) (02/13/88)

In article <6137@iuvax.UUCP> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bob, Mon) writes:
>res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
>>
>>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?
>I don't think so, but you can start up a subshell and do (almost) anything
>you want within it.  (Alt-F4 key.)
>If you really want to dump Procomm, you could:
>	1) Use the widely-available Mark program, before starting Procomm.
>	2) Do your thing in Procomm, then fire up the subshell.
>	3) In the subshell, Release the mark.  This will presumably free all
>	   the occupied memory above the mark, including Procomm (and the
>	   subshell).

I use Alt-F4, but sometimes I need to
run a program larger than Procomm leaves for me.

I tried Mark/Release.
It hung my machine.
However, I was able to do a warm reboot,
which did not hang up my modem.
So your suggestion worked, sort of???

Thanks,  Bob Stockwell
pacbell!ptsfa!res

jtc@dasher.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jeffrey T. Carter) (02/13/88)

In article <4114@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?
>
>Thanks, Bob Stockwell

Yes, reboot the machine.

You didn't ask for a elegant way to do it, now did you?  :->

=    UUCP: sdcsvax \                          Jeffrey T. Carter             =
=    NCR:  ncrcae   - !ncr-sd!jtc             Plant Network Administrator   =
=    ARPA: nosc    /                          NCR  E&M San Diego  ISS Dept. =
=    or try   jeff.carter@SanDiego.NCR.COM    (619)485-2643                 =

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/13/88)

In article <4114@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
> Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?

Try this:

1.  Configure your modem so it does NOT hang up when DTR is dropped.

2.  Go to the Modem Setup screen and delete the telephone hangup string
    (Alt-S, 1, 9) -- it contains a Hayes H0 (hangup) command.

3.  Establish your telephone connection.

4.  Exit ProComm normally (Alt-X).

I have not tried this, but, like all great theories, it sounds good  *8-)

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/13/88)

In article <4114@ptsfa.UUCP>, res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
> Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?

    I beleive if you option your modem to ignore the state of DTR, you
should be able to exit without breaking the connection. The only thing
Procomm will do upon exit is sometimes send a BREAK signal to the
serial port.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

meri@leadsv.UUCP (Ernie Meri) (02/13/88)

In article <4114@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?>
>--
  Well Bob, I don't know what you exactly mean by "Terminate", but here are
  some options:
	(1) A temporary shell escape into DOS : use Alt-F4 (DOS Gateway)...
						typing "exit" returns you

	(2) Perform Alt-X (normal exit) while ON-Line, I never tried this
	but it might work anyway......

Ernie Meri
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company, Inc.
Sunnyvale, California

UUCP: ...!{atlas1, cae780, cfcl, endotsew, esl,
          excelan, hhb, hoptoad, krent, lll-lcc,
          mycroft, rtgvax, scampi, sunncal, tdms2}!leadsv!meri

INTERNET: ucdavis!lll-lcc!leadsv!meri@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
   or     meri%leadsv.UUCP@lll-lcc.ARPA

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (02/14/88)

To the person who does not want the modem line to drop when he
exits Procomm:

It's not too hard to hardwire this.  I have done it on a serial
port card and I imagine it's just as easy with a modem card.  Cut
the trace to DTR (data terminal ready) which tells the modem you
want it to hold the phone line.  Then ground it.  I did it with a
piece of thin wire.

I like terminal programs that don't drop DTR.

Also, if you are handy at disassembling, (which I certainly am not)
you could find the OUT command which drops DTR and replace it with
NOPs.  If you are interested in finding out what these statements
might look like, I may be able to look it up for you.

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (02/14/88)

res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?

You may be able to get around this by resetting your machine via crtl-alt-del.
On my machine, at least, this resets the cpu, but the modem never gets reset
and stays on line.

Not the most graceful way, but it works.

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (02/15/88)

In article <476@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:

> In article <4114@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
> > Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?
> Try this:
> 1.  Configure your modem so it does NOT hang up when DTR is dropped.
> 2.  Go to the Modem Setup screen and delete the telephone hangup string
>     (Alt-S, 1, 9) -- it contains a Hayes H0 (hangup) command.
> 3.  Establish your telephone connection.
> 4.  Exit ProComm normally (Alt-X).
> I have not tried this, but, like all great theories, it sounds good  *8-)
> Dick

You do not need to do step 2.  Procomm does not send a Hangup string
when it is ended with Alt-X.
Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604, CN 5063        that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

mdm@cocktrice.uucp (Mike Mitchell) (02/15/88)

My modem has switches on it for causing the DTR and CD lines to always stay
high. When I have the switches set this way, I can do whatever I want to the
PC including rebooting, and the modem does not hang up.

Procomm drops the DTR line when it exits and this is what causes your modem
to hang up. If you don't have the modem switches, you could build a cable
which would tie the pins 6, 8, and 20 all together, and then your modem
probably would not hang up when you exit. I think the dip switches are a
better idea though...

--
Mike Mitchell
mdm@cocktrice.uucp

chan@encore.UUCP (Jerry Chan) (02/16/88)

In article <6137@iuvax.UUCP> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bob, Mon) writes:
>res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
>>
>>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?
>
>I don't think so, but you can start up a subshell and do (almost) anything
>... [stuff deleted]

I have done exactly what you were requesting (terminating procomm w/o
losing the connection) regularly with no problems, although at times not
deliberately (can you say *system crash* ? :-).  What you have to do is
to set you system up so that the modem does not hang up, whatever it takes.
I gather from your description of the problem that exiting your procomm
session causes your modem to hang up -- on my system, exiting procomm does
nothing like that.  I guess your hardware behaves differently -- I don't
know, but this should work for you:  set the switch settings on your modem
to force DTR (Data terminal ready);  next time you terminate your session,
the modem will remain connected.  To reconnect, just execute procomm as you
normally do, reset your line settings (if it is different than the default
setting) via ALT-P, and, *voila*, you're back in business.

Good luck!

Jerry Chan

jonl@sco.COM (ScoMole #192-1232A) (02/17/88)

+-I seem to recall res@ptsfa.UUCP (1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writing:

| In article <6137@iuvax.UUCP> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bob, Mon) writes:
| >res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
| >>
| >>Is there a way to terminate Procomm w/o hanging up?
| >I don't think so, but you can start up a subshell and do (almost) anything
| >you want within it.  (Alt-F4 key.)
| >If you really want to dump Procomm, you could:
| >	1) Use the widely-available Mark program, before starting Procomm.
| >	2) Do your thing in Procomm, then fire up the subshell.
| >	3) In the subshell, Release the mark.  This will presumably free all
| >	   the occupied memory above the mark, including Procomm (and the
| >	   subshell).
|
| I use Alt-F4, but sometimes I need to
| run a program larger than Procomm leaves for me.
|
| I tried Mark/Release.
| It hung my machine.
| However, I was able to do a warm reboot,
| which did not hang up my modem.
| So your suggestion worked, sort of???
|
| Thanks,  Bob Stockwell
| pacbell!ptsfa!res

I was under the impression that you could just ALT-X out of the session,
leaving the connection running, and then re-enter and it would recognize
that there was still an active connection. I seem to recall doing this,
but since i dont use procomm anymore, my mind may be fubar where this
is concerned..

------
jon luini (never logged in) [ fred smith really... im on the run... ]

>==============================================================================<
 ||    jonl@sco.com           /\ ...!{uunet, ihnp4, ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!jonl   ||
 ||    falcon@sonya.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!sonya!falcon             ||
 ||    falcon@fatou.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!fatou!falcon             ||
 ||    niteowl@ucscb.ucsc.edu || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!ucscb!niteowl            ||
 ||    niteowl@ssyx.ucsc.edu  || ...!{ucbvax}!ucscc!ssyx!niteowl             ||
 ||                           ||                                             ||
 ||    302 cypress street     || "if its got caps, kill it."                 ||
 ||    santa cruz, ca 95062   || the ramblings expressed here are not mine,  ||
 ||    home: 408-423-2917     || they are my evil twin brother, garth luini. ||
 ||    work: 408-425-7222     \/ -HFV Productions, for a better tomorrow...- ||
>==============================================================================<

	"whats the point?" "there is no point, this is BoFf!"

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (02/18/88)

In article <4122@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>I tried Mark/Release.
>It hung my machine.
>However, I was able to do a warm reboot,
>which did not hang up my modem.
>So your suggestion worked, sort of???

	A quick and dirty way is to disconnect the phone line from
Procomm. Exit Procomm, do whatever you want, and boot Procomm back up
when you're done. Reconnect the phone line and do a alt-P to set the
line and you can pick up whatever you left off.

Fai Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@joey.cs.buffalo.EDU

In article <8639@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@joey.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:

>	A quick and dirty way is to disconnect the phone line from
>Procomm. Exit Procomm, do whatever you want, and boot Procomm back up
>when you're done. Reconnect the phone line and do a alt-P to set the
>line and you can pick up whatever you left off.

	!(@$@#( Procomm!!! I think you gotta warm boot the PC
since I can't find any way to disconnect Procomm from the damn
modem.

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (02/18/88)

In article <11470024@hpsmtc1.HP.COM>, swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
> Re: no-hangup when stopping ProComm
>
> Try looking at the modem configuration menus.  I believe that you will find
> that there is an item related to a "shutdown" string to be sent to your
> modem.  If I am correct, change the string to avoid resetting the modem.
> This should prevent the "hang-up".

	Almost, Procomm trys dropping DTR first, then it sends the
disconnect string if the CD persists. So in addition to doing what you
say you also must teach your modem to ignore DTR. (On many modems this
is a DIP switch setting, on others you do it with soft codes)

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/19/88)

In article <8640@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) writes:
>In article <8639@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@joey.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:
>>>
>>	A quick and dirty way is to disconnect the phone line from
>>Procomm. Exit Procomm, do whatever you want, and boot Procomm back up
>>when you're done. Reconnect the phone line and do a alt-P to set the
>>line and you can pick up whatever you left off.
>>
>	!(@$@#( Procomm!!! I think you gotta warm boot the PC
>since I can't find any way to disconnect Procomm from the damn
>modem.

What are you cussing at Procomm for?  It wasn't wrong, you were!
                                                       ^^^
Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481
Internet: slvblc!dick@ucscc.UCSC.EDU         LORAN: N037 04.7 W122 04.6
USPO: PO Box 155, Ben Lomond, CA 95005

btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) (02/21/88)

about terminating procomm without hanging up...

can't you just do it the way you can with other terminal programs?

(with a Hayes-compatible modem) give a + + + (i'm separating them, so
my modem doesn't see them, and then later, when
you want to reconnect to that line, you type ATO...

--
			Brad Banko
			Columbus, Ohio

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney ) (10/19/88)

Hello all.

   Using Procomm 242, I am having trouble with the status line on the
bottom of the screen.  I like to run a sysline from the mainframe that
tells me various and sundry fun things (time, users, load, etc).  This
works just fine except that procomm has this nasty habit of re-writing
*its* sysline (status line) down there too.

  Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution or, moreover,
does anyone have a solution?  I thought of turning off the status line
but didn't see a nice, quick-and-easy way to accomplish this.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

P.S. - I would even consider moving up to Procomm+ if it can do this....:-)

--
Dan Chaney
{backbones-r-us}!ukma!chaney  chaney@ms.uky.edu  EXT698@UKCC.BITNET

mdm@cocktrice.uucp (Mike Mitchell) (10/21/88)

get a copy of telix 3.0 from your neighboorhood bbs. this has the option
of turning off the status line and it is rich with features like procomm
including a "c" like script programming language.

--
Mike Mitchell
mdm@cocktrice.uucp

dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics) (10/24/88)

In article <318@cocktrice.uucp> mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (0000-Mike Mitchell) writes:
>get a copy of telix 3.0 from your neighboorhood bbs. this has the option

Better yet - wait a few days until telix 3.1 shows up.  It was released
last week and fixes a few bugs in 3.0.