[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP! Trouble with DESQview and HP Vectra

sld@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Steven Louis Davis) (10/23/88)

Have any of you out there heard of any problems with DESQview 2.01
for the HP Vectra ES computer?  I just installed DV2.01 on two machines,
a true blue AT and an HP Vectra.  The IBM works perfectly but the Vectra
hangs when the third or fourth windows are opened.  Of course, both machines
have ram cards (2MB each) and the requisite memory manager device drivers.
To make analysis of the problem easy, I removed *all* tsr's on the Vectra
to see if they were providing some conflict, but the problem persists.
If you know anything about Vectra's and DESQview being a bad combination,
please let me know.  Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! in advance
Steve Davis

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steven L. Davis  Internet: sld@beach.cis.ufl.edu

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (10/25/88)

In article <18725@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> sld@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Have any of you out there heard of any problems with DESQview 2.01
>for the HP Vectra ES computer?  I just installed DV2.01 on two machines,
>a true blue AT and an HP Vectra.  The IBM works perfectly but the Vectra
>hangs when the third or fourth windows are opened.  Of course, both machines
>have ram cards (2MB each) and the requisite memory manager device drivers.

I had a similar experience on a 386 machine which "emulated" EMS from extended
memory using a special driver. Apparently DV did not like its brand of EMS
emulation, as I ultimately traced the problem to that. Using quarterdeck's
QEMM-386 the problem disappeared, and I have literally run ten DV windows
at once with no problem of lockups anymore.

Since you did not say that your 2MB board is EMS or EEMS I guessed you might be
simulating EMS from planar memory. If you're not, the EMS driver _still_ might
be the culprit. DV really requires EEMS to run programs in expanded memory.
your hardware/software memory combination might not be to its liking.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP