[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Buying XT from COMPUTER DIRECT

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (10/25/88)

I'm considering purchasing a Turbo XT from COMPUTER DIRECT in IL.

Can anyone recommend/not recommend this system or company?

Does anyone have any general advice for a XT buyer who is new to IBM PC
compatibles?

Please reply via email as I do not <YET> attend this newsgroup. If I receive
enough replies I'll summarize and post.

Thanks,
car.
--
Christopher A. Rende         Multics,DTSS,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!rphroy!pte!car  TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (10/27/88)

In article <304@pte.UUCP> car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>I'm considering purchasing a Turbo XT from COMPUTER DIRECT in IL.
>
>Can anyone recommend/not recommend this system or company?

They advertise "15MHz" XT clones; the fine print says "4.77/8MHz"; this
is sleazy, and I'd prefer not to deal with such companies.

>Does anyone have any general advice for a XT buyer who is new to IBM PC
>compatibles?

Buy a "name brand" if you're new; some (e.g. Amstrad) are quite good and very
competitive.  (I recently bought a very fast non-name brand with which I'm
very happy, but I knew where to look for the inevitable misassembled bits,
and how to yell at the company's president; this resulted in a much better
machine for the same price.)

>Please reply via email as I do not <YET> attend this newsgroup. If I receive
>enough replies I'll summarize and post.

I tried; our system couldn't find you.  Good luck.

--
   _  _  _      David A. Ross   (Dept.Math.&Stat.,U.ofMN,Duluth)
  / \/ \/ \     BITNET: dross@umndul    UUCP: dross@ub.d.umn.edu