[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Remote Control of IBM PC

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (10/18/88)

I need to be able to remotely control application software on
an IBM PC/XT and PC/AT (running DOS).  Is there just a simple
DOS command to do it?  Do I need to write interrupt handlers to
"fake-out" the keyboard remotely and pass the output back through the
serial port?  I'm assuming (dangerous :-)) fairly well behaved
applications that go through DOS or the BIOS.  Are there tricks
to poorly behaved applications?  Finally, is there software
(source preferably), commercial, PD, shareware -- that does
this sort of thing (with phone numbers and/or addresses)?
Thanks.
--
Chuck Noren
NET:     ncar!dinl!noren

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) (10/18/88)

With regards to "remote control":

You can do it for free by typing "CTTY COMx:".  After executing this
command, your console is redirected to the serial port named.

Note that to get back to the normal console, you can execute a CTTY
command with no argument, or reboot.  Also -- programs which do direct
screen & keyboard I/O (ie: don't use the BIOS calls), or anything
which tries to go into graphics mode won't work.

To do this, you need a package such as Carbon Copy (tm).  There
are many of these available, most require two copies (they check
serial numbers, and won't work with themselves), and they are
a little expensive.... Other than that they do work.

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (10/19/88)

In article <757@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
> I need to be able to remotely control application software on
> an IBM PC/XT and PC/AT (running DOS).  Is there just a simple
> DOS command to do it?  Do I need to write interrupt handlers to

I just did this a couple of nights ago.  If what you want to do is control
your PC from a remote terminal try this:

     C> CTTY COM1

this redirects all CON: i/o through COM1.  I was running my computer with a
TRS-80 PC2 Pocket Computer this way just for shits and gigles.

Typing: CTTY CON from the remote terminal returns i/o to normal channels.
--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (10/19/88)

Remote control of a PC over the serial port to another PC or even simply
to a VT-100 can be accomplished by a program called pcAnywhere.  We just
put it on the bench a few days ago, and have been suitably impressed by its
features and speed.  We use it as a stopgap solution to having a multi-user
application (a network management console).  It has limitations, of course,
but is generally worthwhile.  It is made by:
  Dynamic Microprocessor Associates, Inc.
  545 Fifth Avenue
  New York, NY 10017 USA
The "worldwide distributor" is:
  EKD Computer Corp.
  770 Middle Country Road
  P.O. Box Y
  Selden, NY 11784 USA
  (516) 736-0500
or get it from a retail software outfit (I think we got this one from
Egghead).  Frankly, I haven't had much time to play with it, but at first
blush it seems OK.  My application is not exactly well-behaved, in that I
hook the BIOS INT 16H keyboard vector to filter out ctrl-C and ctrl-Break
before they (sometimes) get to DOS and wreck my screen.  I thought that
might be a poser, but pcAnywhere took it in stride.  They seem to have done
their homework (no pun intended, honestly).  It feels as though it is of the
class of programs that, like some debuggers, get fixed immediately and improved
rapidly because the programmers use them constantly.  I suspect the developer
of pcAnywhere lives quite some distance from work. :-)

-Jim Hickstein
jxh@cup.portal.com
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh

ads4@tank.uchicago.edu (adam david sah) (10/19/88)

I know for a fact that there are Public Domain remote PC programs available o{t to mention shareware/freeware BBs programs (which all have Drop to DOS...)
I have several (none of which I use, of course- I run a BBs...) BASE-PC.ARC and some others...

They exist, to be sure.

-A.Sah'88

cpp90221@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (10/19/88)

From article <8466@mhuxu.UUCP>, by jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson):
}
} I just did this a couple of nights ago.  If what you want to do is control
} your PC from a remote terminal try this:
}
}      C> CTTY COM1
}
} this redirects all CON: i/o through COM1.  I was running my computer with a
} TRS-80 PC2 Pocket Computer this way just for shits and gigles.
}
} Typing: CTTY CON from the remote terminal returns i/o to normal channels.
} --
}        Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA
}
} J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

The above method will work for programs that use the DOS screen and keyboard
routines. If the program usees it's own custom routines, Watch out!!! CTTY may
have strange results. ( I know from experience.. when I tried to run DBASEIII
remotly using CTTY, it promply locked up my system, and I had to reach for
the big red switch :-(
--
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac        |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of  |

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/20/88)

From article <757@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, by noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren):
> I need to be able to remotely control application software on
> an IBM PC/XT and PC/AT (running DOS).  Is there just a simple
> DOS command to do it?  Do I need to write interrupt handlers to
> "fake-out" the keyboard remotely and pass the output back through the
> serial port?  I'm assuming (dangerous :-)) fairly well behaved
> applications that go through DOS or the BIOS.  Are there tricks
> to poorly behaved applications?  Finally, is there software
> (source preferably), commercial, PD, shareware -- that does
> this sort of thing (with phone numbers and/or addresses)?

     Someone has uploaded a Public Domain Program to my bbs that
     claims to be a "Carbon Copy" software clone. Carbon Copy is
     a commercial piece of software when run on two pc's can run
     even the most ill behaved software. I haven't had a chance
     to run it myself but breezed through the docs and the setups
     are similiar to the CC software. The name of it is "tandem31.arc"
     and is located in the msdos_comm files area. The bbs number
     is 415-656-9386.

     ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

ads4@tank.uchicago.edu (adam david sah) (10/21/88)

You mentioned that DBIII locked up with CTTY COMn. That's because most word processors, database managers, graphics programs, speadsheets,. etc all write directly to the screen in order to speed things up (BIOS writes are slow). This is why you cannot have Doors on a BBs running word processors (wouldn't it be nice to be able to write that stupid ________ (fill it in...) off line???)

It didn't lock it up, it only couldn't send anything to you... Try it instead with something that doesn't write to the screen (i.e. PCMoria, or Hack, etc etc etc. They will all work (and make great BBs doors.) -A.Sah'88

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (10/26/88)

In article <[75.1]karl@ddsw1.comp.ibmpc> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) writes:
 >With regards to "remote control":
 >
 >You can do it for free by typing "CTTY COMx:".  After executing this
 >command, your console is redirected to the serial port named.
 >
 >Note that to get back to the normal console, you can execute a CTTY
 >command with no argument, or reboot.  Also -- programs which do direct
 >screen & keyboard I/O (ie: don't use the BIOS calls), or anything
 >which tries to go into graphics mode won't work.

Should say "which don't use the *DOS* calls".

Only DOS calls can be redirected (e.g. INT 21).  BIOS calls (e.g. INT 10)
cannot.

There is *no* support for display and keyboard redirection in the BIOS.

CTTY is of limited value because of the very common useage of direct display
output for text, and, of course, all graphics output is direct.  Even BASIC
doesn't go through DOS, and ansi.sys almost certainly doesn't get invoked if
loaded (haven't tried it).

Unfortunately (or perhaps naturally, because of the PC's architecture) there
is no current satisfactory general solution to a "remote" control terminal.

There is perhaps a niche hardware product opportunity here, but it probably
is only relevant in a pure alpha-numeric mode, a minority market.
--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!philabs!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (10/29/88)

In article <1340@micomvax.UUCP> ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
>In article <[75.1]karl@ddsw1.comp.ibmpc> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) writes:
>
>Unfortunately (or perhaps naturally, because of the PC's architecture) there
>is no current satisfactory general solution to a "remote" control terminal.
>
>There is perhaps a niche hardware product opportunity here, but it probably
>is only relevant in a pure alpha-numeric mode, a minority market.

Depends on what you mean by "satisfactory". There are, in fact, a couple of
commercial products that allow full remote access of a PC by modem, even
for character graphics *and* direct screen writes. I don't know if they
can handle graphics as well, but I wouldn't be surprised. One of the
products is even CALLED "Remote".

These products work by hanging off the timer iterrupt and maintaining
a copy of the screen for comparison. Every <user defined> period the
program wakes up, compares the screen with its copy, and sends the
differences out the serial port. The companion program, running on the
local PC, interprets the difference data and displays. Input is accepted
from either keyboard, and of course the function and keypad keys, even
action of the shift keys, is transmitted across the serial port.

In fact, the only "unsatisfactory" thing about this setup is the speed
at which it runs: slowly. There was a review of this setup in PC-Rag
a long time ago. They tested it with several programs that did not-
so-nice things with the hardware and it seemed to work ok. Notably
Lotus 123 seemed to work just fine.

--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del