[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ST-225 Dynamic Config Parameters

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (10/25/88)

Anybody got the dynamic configuration parameters for a seagate ST225 handy?
This is the #'s you use when ya go into debug and jump into the ROM code
on the controller card.  Things like starting reduced write current cylinder
. . . stuff like that.

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu

kcl@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Ken C. Lo) (10/27/88)

 The following are the parameters for ST-225 drive:
    Total # of cylinders = 615
    Total # of heads = 4
    Reduced write current = 450
    Write precompensation = 450
    Maximum correctable error burst length = 11
    Command control block option byte = 5

steed@techunix.BITNET (Ze'ev "Steed" Shtadler) (10/31/88)

In article <101000016@hpcvlx.HP.COM> kcl@hpcvlx.BITNET answers:

> The following are the parameters for ST-225 drive:
>    Total # of cylinders = 615
>    Total # of heads = 4
>    Reduced write current = 450
>    Write precompensation = 450
>    Maximum correctable error burst length = 11
>    Command control block option byte = 5

His answer is not consistent with the data I have, so I let you
netlanders choose ...

Taken from "Universal Installation Handbook" (not for resale) by Seagate:

Product information                     ST225
Formatted Capacity (MegaBytes):         21
Read/Write Heads:                       4
Data Cylinders:                         615
Step Pulse Range (MicroSec.):           5-200
Access Time (MiliSec.):                 65
Write Precompensation (Cyl.):           300-614
Reduced Write Current (Cyl.):           N/A
Power (Watts):                          14.8

In section 5: "Drive Formatting" you find the following:
[When asked by the formatting program about] ...
5. Maximum correctable error burst (EEC) - see the default setting or 8
for most systems.

                                Hope it helps,
                                        Ze'ev.
--
Ze'ev Shtadler.
Computer Science Faculty,

BITNET:  steed@techunix
Domain:  steed@techunix.technion.ac.il
UUCP:    ...!psuvax1!techunix.bitnet!steed
ARPANET: steed%techunix.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
CSNET:   steed%techunix.bitnet@csnet-relay.csnet