[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard disk/controller problem

grig8348@fredonia.UUCP (LoyEllen Griggs) (11/02/88)

Hi,  small problem:

Setup:  a Wells-American AT compatible, early model purchased some time
	ago.
        Using a Toolen (sp?) 32Meg HD as the first drive.  No other info
	is available on the drive except it is declared type 3.
	Using the hd controller on the motherboard

Problem: when the computer is first turned on, it comes back with an error
 	from the controller. If it is shut off and turned back on again,
	it works fine (this has to be done quickly, which is not good for
	the rest of the system).

Proposed diagnosis: the disk is not coming up to speed when the controller
	expects it.  We think the disk needs 360ms and the ctler only gives
	it 300.

This is not my computer, it is a colleague's, so I haven't had time to play
with it.  The disk has a braking solenoid (sp?) but I don't think it would
be a good idea to remove it.  (I don't even know if it would help-if you
concur, send a specific reason I can show Ron before he does it.)

If you know this problem, please email.  Thanks.

--
LoyEllen                          '. .`       "In space, nothing gets you down-
SUNY @ Fredonia                     _                there's no gravity!" - Me

cs253ad@unm-la.UUCP (Rev. Mark A. Foster) (11/02/88)

Sorry to post this, but my attempts to mail have all bounced.

     I've worked with compatibles for several years, and my experience with
Tulin drives has not been good.  I remember three cases where the bearings in
the drives failed, and we had to replace them.  It is possible that the drive
bearings are failing, preventing the drive from coming up to speed.  I am
currently experiencing a similar problem with the MiniScribe 3650 on my system
at home.  The only solution seems to be replacement.

     I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems
with either the Tulin or MiniScribe drives, a lot of people come to me for
advice on purchasing and repair/replacement, and I'd hate to recommend a poor
quality drive or denigrate a perfectly good one.

Rev. Mark A. Foster

doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) (11/04/88)

In article <852@unm-la.UUCP>, cs253ad@unm-la.UUCP (Rev. Mark A. Foster) writes:
>      I've worked with compatibles for several years, and my experience with
> Tulin drives has not been good.  I remember three cases where the bearings in
> the drives failed, and we had to replace them.  It is possible that the drive
> bearings are failing, preventing the drive from coming up to speed.  I am
> currently experiencing a similar problem with the MiniScribe 3650 on my system
> at home.  The only solution seems to be replacement.
>
>      I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems
> with either the Tulin or MiniScribe drives, a lot of people come to me for
> advice on purchasing and repair/replacement, and I'd hate to recommend a poor
> quality drive or denigrate a perfectly good one.

	Just to let you know that you're not alone: I had a 20MB Tulin drive
for a short time (I got rid of it fast...) that had this problem several
times. On power-up, the drive would not spin at all. A flick of the
finger on the spindle, and off it would go, no problem....
	Needless to say, this made me nervous enough not to become too
emotionally attached to the drive.

Dave Mundhenk
AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ
"Affiliation for identification purposes only. Obviously, my opinions
in no way represent those of anyone who doesn't look like me."

"Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re."