[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Trouble with Procomm U&D loading...

lily@liszt.kulesat.uucp (10/25/88)

Hello (again),

After some testing I was able to connect my PC at home with my friend's
PC over the phone, using Procomm 2.4 .  I got this version from another
friend, and honestly, I WILL buy the ProcommPlus software when I'm able
to use this version for what I need it for.

Now, I have this strange problem since I am able to connect to a remote
PC. I can't find a way to down- or upload files from and to it.  I only
tried the HOST mode to do the job in, because then I can enter a remote
SHELL to search the files I want to download, or rename uploaded files.
First of all, I can get into this SHELL , but the remote computer seems
to ruin my screen when I press the Del key, altough there is no DOSEDIT
or other memory resident software enabled on the remote PC. I can solve
this problem by ignoring the Del ( and maybe other ) keys, impractical,
but it works.
The real problem is when I choose U)pload or D)ownload in the HOST mode
session . I get another menu , with the possible protocols , and when I
choose K)ermit I am asked a filename  (it's an ASCII-file in the remote
Procomm-directory) and OOPS... a strange characters appear on my screen
and nothing is downloaded nor uploaded. I tried the other protocols too
but without any luck. Finally I gave up. HELP !. What am I doing wrong,
or what is wrong with the Procomm 2.4 version. Can it be solved ???????

Many thanks in advance.

Dirk

UUCP    : kulesat!lily
BITNET  : lily%kulesat.uucp@blekul60

-======Tell Tutanchamon to go home, his mummy is waiting for him======-

flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) (10/31/88)

I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
Comments?

smc@mtund.ATT.COM (Steven Casagrande) (11/01/88)

In article <5796@hoptoad.uucp> flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) writes:
>I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
>Comments?

I assume you are using KERMIT on the UNIX(tm) side, so the next step
is setting the number of bits (7/8) to the same on both sides.
This is probably the most common problem.
Steve Casagrande	       (201) 576-2238 	|	...att!mtund!smc
AT&T Bell Labs, Lincroft, NJ  			|	smc@mtund.att.com

pad3563@ultb.UUCP (P.A. Deupree ) (11/01/88)

In article <5796@hoptoad.uucp> flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) writes:
>I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
>Comments?

Yeah.  Did you set the baud rate and parity rate at the unix end of things?
I had the same problem and found that I hadn't set all of that up correctly
(because I could use kermit without having to do anything).
--
Patrick A. Deupree				Bitnet: PAD3563@RITVAX.BITNET
						UUCP: pxd3563@ultb.UUCP

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/02/88)

<
<I assume you are using KERMIT on the UNIX(tm) side, so the next step
<is setting the number of bits (7/8) to the same on both sides.
<This is probably the most common problem.

...followed closely by not having the parity set the same on both
ends...

keith

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (11/02/88)

In article <5796@hoptoad.uucp>, flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) writes:
> I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.  Comments?

I have tried to upload files from my PC also.  I usually get about 2 or 3K
transferred and then I get cut off.  What I think is happening is that during
the transfer I am transmitting the correct caracter sequences to log me off
the UNIX host.  To eliminate the problem, the files have to be uuencoded in
the PC and then transferred.  I have seen uudecode programs for the PC but
no uuencode programs yet.  Does someone have one they could share?
--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

mrk@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Michael R. Kesti) (11/02/88)

In article <5796@hoptoad.uucp> flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) writes:
>I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
>Comments?

My comment - Jeeze, that's too bad.

But really, one cannot even hope to get useful hints for these kinds of things
with the amount of info supplied.  Many would be willing to help, given:
	What kind and version of DOS?
	What kind and version of UN*X?
	What programs are attempting the transfer on the UN*X end?
	Any other relevant data?

Michael Kesti  Grass Valley Group, Inc. | "Like one and one don't make two,
    @gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM                 |  one and one make one."
    !tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk        |         - The Who, Bargain

sar@datcon.UUCP (Simon A Reap) (11/02/88)

In article <5796@hoptoad.uucp> flinn@hoptoad.uucp (Ted Flinn) writes:
>I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
>Comments?

I had the same problem talking to C-Kermit on a Pyramid.  I fixed it by
setting Procomm *parity* to Space, but it all depends on how your
Kermit(tm) was compiled.  Welcome to the wacky world of RS232!
--
Enjoy,
yerluvinunclesimon                Opinions are mine - I don't even have a cat

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/03/88)

ProComm 2.42 doesn't seem to set the serial port as advertised.  Try
using SPACE parity for Kermit transfers.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

dsd@hpsad.HP.COM (Donald StDenis) (11/04/88)

>I find I can't upload to this unix system with ProComm 2.4.2.
>Comments?

	I had problems with this also, I changed the parity and then was
	able to upload and down load fine.

--
Donald St. Denis					         R&D Department
HP-UX Email address: dsd@hpsad	       Hewlett-Packard Signal Analysis Division