[comp.sys.ibm.pc] text to speech boards

dmf@itivax.UUCP (David M. Fullmer) (10/18/88)

Does anybody know of a good text to speech board for the
IBM pc? My local hardware houses seem to think that this
is too "sci-fi" for them

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (10/22/88)

I don't know if it's available in board form or not, but the
Artic speech synthesizer has a text-to-speech screen reader
software option, and sounds better than the votrax, et. al.
phoneme synthesizers.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (11/03/88)

Heathkit has a text to speech board for $89. It is a kit, and should take
all of 1/2 hour to build. Some amount of software is included. Can't go
wrong for the price...

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

cc@rayssd.ray.com (Charles R. Coday) (11/05/88)

In article <2289@cloud9.UUCP>, dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) writes:

> Heathkit has a text to speech board for $89. It is a kit, and should take
> all of 1/2 hour to build. Some amount of software is included. Can't go
> wrong for the price...

Also, B. G. Micro in Texas has a speech to text board for $69.  I'm not
sure what software is included/necessary.  They advertise in Computer
Shopper, Radio Electronics, etc.  I've bought from them before and
they're excellent, never any problem on the rare occasion when I had to
return something.  Address:

	B. G. Micro
	P.O.Box 280298
	Dallas, Texas  75228