[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What He's Done to Postpone Buying a New PC

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (11/03/88)

good choice -- wait for more 386 machines running multi dos
windows; sun won't be the only one to make machines like this;

but don't count on fun stuff like SunOS to be included in
any future clone super clones.

--

  	harvard!spdcc!eli

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (11/04/88)

From article <2047@spdcc.COM>, by eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias):

> good choice -- wait for more 386 machines running multi dos
> windows; sun won't be the only one to make machines like this;

Sun not only isn't 'the only one', they aren't even the first.
Try a Convergent NGEN Series 386i, 20MHz, multi-DOS sessions...
(a.k.a. Unisys B38)
--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 435-5274
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 09-031

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/06/88)

In article <795@starfish.Convergent.COM>, cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> From article <2047@spdcc.COM>, by eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias):
> >
> > good choice -- wait for more 386 machines running multi dos
> > windows; sun won't be the only one to make machines like this;
> >
> Sun not only isn't 'the only one', they aren't even the first.
> Try a Convergent NGEN Series 386i, 20MHz, multi-DOS sessions...
> (a.k.a. Unisys B38)
> --
   I beleive the Unisys B39 more closely matches this desciption. The
B38 while being a 80386, only runs at 16 Mhz and only has a 16-bit
data path to memory. It can however run MS-DOS applications with the
appropriate emulation software. The B39, on the other hand, is a
20 Mhz 80386 with up to 23MB of 32-bit RAM and can run multiple DOS
windows as well as BTOS II. There are also two X-bus card slots, an
in-built 1.2MB floppy and your choice of 142 MB or 320 MB SCSI hard
disk.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net