[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows/386 - Problem with Excel and other problems

howell@thorin.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) (11/03/88)

Does anyone really use Windows? or is it a marketing facade?
I can't believe that very many people would put up with the
problems that this product has.  I'd be interested to know
if anyone is really having success with this product.  And
if you aren't, i.e. if I am not alone with this many problems,
what hope is there that the Presentation Manager will be any
better?

The latest two problems;

1) Excel consumes 206 KB of conventional memory on a PS/2 with
   Windows/386 and 6mb of memory.  This translates to that you
   can't run Microsoft Word and say a terminal session at the
   same time.  Correct me, but I thought that was the basic
   reason for the product.

2) I ran Word, called up a file from a 5.25" diskette in drive
   B.  Everything is going fine.  I then go to print it.  Windows
   complains that it can't find the Windows system, to please
   insert it in drive A (3.5").  The mouse becomes disabled, and
   all I can do is press the Enter Key to acknowledge okay.  Of
   course I don't have a Windows system on a 3.5" diskette and
   none of the distribution diskettes would do the trick...so a
   soft boot...a loss of work...and I am back running again.  I
   don't know how many times Windows hangs my machine, but it is
   getting ridiculous!

I'd like to hear from anyone that has some ideas that might help
or confirm these problems.  Thanks.

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (11/04/88)

In article <5047@thorin.cs.unc.edu> howell@thorin.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) writes:
>Does anyone really use Windows? or is it a marketing facade?
>I can't believe that very many people would put up with the
>problems that this product has.

YEAH! lets bash Windows! yay!

I would really love to see a spate of windows-bashing postings!!!

+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
                                               #include <disclaimer.h>

Windows(TM) is probably a registered trademark of MicroSoft. Who cares.

cem@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Malloy) (11/04/88)

>>Does anyone really use Windows? or is it a marketing facade?
>>I can't believe that very many people would put up with the
>>problems that this product has.
>
>YEAH! lets bash Windows! yay!
>
>I would really love to see a spate of windows-bashing postings!!!

I use MicroSoft Windows all of the time.  Most of the software
that I use runs under Windows.  The problems that I have had
depend on the application that I use.  I use three different
versions of Windows.  Windows/286 (enter win) and Windows/386
(change path and then enter either win386 or win86).  Each has
a function.  With enough experimenting I have found which application
works best under which Window.

I do not "bash", you shouldn't either.  Simple rules:

1.) If you don't like it, don't use it.

2.) If you must use it and don't like it, get another job.

3.) If you can do it better, do it!

4.) If you do it, send me an evaluation copy.

Clancy Malloy
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (11/08/88)

In article <5047@thorin.cs.unc.edu> howell@thorin.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) writes:

>1) Excel consumes 206 KB of conventional memory on a PS/2 with
>   Windows/386 and 6mb of memory.  This translates to that you
>   can't run Microsoft Word and say a terminal session at the
>   same time.

I used to use Windows/386 extensively, although now I mostly use OS/2.
Are you sure you're interpreting your memory usage correctly?  I've had
at least two copies of Word, one copy of QMODEM, a copy of Paradox, and
Excel running at the same time on an AT with 4.5 Meg.  I've never really
understood how Windows/386 allocates memory, but it does seem odd -- I
believe I loaded Excel last, which may be the key to the problem.

The biggest problems I've had with Windows/386 were file based e.g. Word
and Paradox clobbering each others files.  Also, when the system is close
the memory limits, the chances of a protection violation seem to increase
substatially.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer

howell@bashful.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) (11/08/88)

In article <14794@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.UUCP (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:

>I used to use Windows/386 extensively, although now I mostly use OS/2.
>Are you sure you're interpreting your memory usage correctly?  I've had
>at least two copies of Word, one copy of QMODEM, a copy of Paradox, and
>Excel running at the same time on an AT with 4.5 Meg.  I've never really
>understood how Windows/386 allocates memory, but it does seem odd -- I
>believe I loaded Excel last, which may be the key to the problem.

This problem has grown even more confusing as we have two PS/2 mod 80
machines, each with DOS 3.3, Windows/386 2.03, and Excel.  Each machine
has its own set of software, but the same version of everything.  On one
machine loading Excel consumes 206 KB of conventional memory and you
can't do much else, while on the other it consumes a token amount of
conventional memory and you can load and run all types of applications.
Anyone from Microsoft read this newsgroup, and might want to venture a
guess?

And while I am on differences between the two, one system can run the
terminal desktop accessory in small print size and the other cannot,
the size remains virtually the same large size.  Yet another strange
Windows occurance between two identical machines!