[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Good Disk Drives

dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) (10/22/88)

During the past month or two there has been a lot of posting about
disk drives that have been problems, caused problems, etc. Would
anyone care to post their *positive* experience(s) with disk drives for
the PC. WHat good drives are out there in the 20MB, 30MB, 40MB size?

Thanks, danielle

--
Danielle Bercel - Senior Software Engineer - The Wollongong Group
Email:   dbercel@twg-ap.com or dbercel@twg.com

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (10/25/88)

In article <264@twg-ap.UUCP> dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) writes:
> During the past month or two there has been a lot of posting about
> disk drives that have been problems, caused problems, etc. Would
> anyone care to post their *positive* experience(s) with disk drives for
> the PC. WHat good drives are out there in the 20MB, 30MB, 40MB size?
>
> Thanks, danielle

		I would be interested in seeing this also.

		Thanks, Jeff
--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (10/29/88)

I've had a Miniscribe 3650 in my AT-compatible since I bought it in
January.  I'm thouroughly satisfied with it.  No mechanical failures
(I have had one soft error show up) under moderate use (5-10 hours/day).

It's kinda slow (68ms), noisy (like loud), but it's cheap, and I've never
heard any horror stories about them (unlike some competitors whose names
begin with s-e-a and end with a-t-e)...in fact, the media quality is regarded
as good enough to use for RLL encoding (my next project) which will up the
capacity to ~80MB and improve the data transfer rate too.

| Steve Ward Jr.                                   |                          |
| University of Portland (Just a lowly student!)   |    stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Portland, Oregon                                 | !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (11/04/88)

In article <1664@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:
>In article <264@twg-ap.UUCP> dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) writes:
>> the PC. WHat good drives are out there in the 20MB, 30MB, 40MB size?
>>
>		I would be interested in seeing this also.

I have a 2-year old Seagate 4051 (full-height) drive in my AT clone.
I don't use my computer very heavily (couple hours a week, probably).
The disk has been no problem at all.
-----
Rusty Carruth   UUCP: {uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075x296 \  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

dsd@hpsad.HP.COM (Donald StDenis) (11/08/88)

>/ hpsad:comp.sys.ibm.pc / dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) / 11:11 am  Oct 21, 1988 /
>During the past month or two there has been a lot of posting about
>disk drives that have been problems, caused problems, etc. Would
>anyone care to post their *positive* experience(s) with disk drives for
>the PC. WHat good drives are out there in the 20MB, 30MB, 40MB size?

	I've been using a 20M Seagate ST225 for ~2 years.  No trouble.  I
	use it about 4 - 10 hrs. per week in an XT clone.

	I got one for my brother's company last year, and he's had no
	trouble.  He's got an AT clone, and uses it for CAD work on PC
	boards, ~20-30 hrs/week.

--
Donald St. Denis					         R&D Department
HP-UX Email address: dsd@hpsad	       Hewlett-Packard Signal Analysis Division