[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there a 1-2-3 add-on for graphics?

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (11/03/88)

Is there a Lotus 1-2-3 add-on that improves on 1-2-3 business graphics
capabilites. As it is now, we find the graphs produced by 1-2-3 not to
be presentation quality and end up doing them on a Mac. Obviously, it
would be more convenient to do it directly in 1-2-3. Any info would be
appreciated. Thanks.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (11/04/88)

In article <1346@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Is there a Lotus 1-2-3 add-on that improves on 1-2-3 business graphics
>capabilities. As it is now, we find the graphs produced by 1-2-3 not to
>be presentation quality and end up doing them on a Mac. ...

Ah, how times have changed.  When 1-2-3 first came out, people thought that
its built-in graphics were just wonderful.  Now we think (entirely reasonably)
that they stink.  I have two suggestions.  The first is to take the .PIC
file produced by 1-2-3 and feed it into a graphics program such as Freelance.
The other is to forget about 1-2-3 and use PC Excel which has much better
graphics, and can be persuaded to read 1-2-3 worksheets without too much
trouble.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | think | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

carlson@murpho.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (11/04/88)

In article <2852@ima.ima.isc.com> johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <1346@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>Is there a Lotus 1-2-3 add-on that improves on 1-2-3 business graphics
>>capabilities. As it is now, we find the graphs produced by 1-2-3 not to
>>be presentation quality and end up doing them on a Mac. ...

I have had very good results when I read the Lotus graphs into
Harvard Graphics and "enhanced them".  You can tell Harvard the
row/column values that you want to graph (which can be a little
tedious) or you can create a Lotus graph and
read the .PIC file into Harvard.  Harvard Graphics is very easy
to learn, but has some rather advanced capabilities to
make your graphs look better.  It also has a screen show capability
with various features and you can put together a fairly impressive
computer slide show.  It can drive plotters, laser printers,
the Videoshow system and a variety of other output devices.

If you have any specific questions on Harvard Graphics send them to
me E-mail and I can take a look at my manual.

I have no connection with the publishers of Harvard Graphics - I
just like their product.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org

Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) (11/07/88)

 > From: carlson@murpho.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) Date: 4 Nov 88 13:57:49
 > GMT Organization: The Mitre Corporation Message-ID: <41530@linus.UUCP>
 > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

Bruce..There is a LOTUS lookalike and actalike called the TWIN that I am
told really enhances the graphics capabilities, and does all that LOTUS
does and more for about $40.00. Also there is a shareware called ASEASY
that I use and enjoy with good graphics.

Dan Husk

--
Dan Husk - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) (11/08/88)

In article <1346@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Is there a Lotus 1-2-3 add-on that improves on 1-2-3 business graphics
>capabilites. As it is now, we find the graphs produced by 1-2-3 not to
>be presentation quality and end up doing them on a Mac. Obviously, it

It seems to me that it would be easier to use a standalone program
like Harvard Graphics.  They usually have better capabilities than
any add-on could have, and most of them can import 1-2-3 spreadsheets
(in whole or specific ranges) for data.  As you've probably found
out, 1-2-3 graphs are good only for checking to make sure that your
data is right.  Try using them in a presentation and you'll be laughed
out of the building.

--
"Don't find a fault. | Marc Unangst
Find a remedy."      | UUCP: mju@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us