[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question about "MIRROR 2" communications package

cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (11/07/88)

When trying to upload a file from the PC to a mainframe Unix
that is called-up, I use the "send" command at command mode
level.

On the unix side, I've said "cat > random".

What happens is that after the "send filename" is issued
on the MS-DOS side, a few seconds later, massive numbers of
beeps come through and the send only gets in a few lines
of the text file to send (no binary in file).

Flow-control with ^S/^Q is enabled on both sides (unix side
is stty tandem). Modem is 1200 baud, 8 bit, no parity, 2
stop bits. I've tried both 1 and 2 stop bits and it gives the
same result.

Any takers?

	Stuart (cracraft@venera.isi.edu)

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass) (11/08/88)

In article <6710@venera.isi.edu> cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
>When trying to upload a file from the PC to a mainframe Unix
>On the unix side, I've said "cat > random".
>on the MS-DOS side, a few seconds later, massive numbers of
>beeps come through and the send only gets in a few lines
>of the text file to send (no binary in file).

What you need to do is slow down the PC a bit, so it doesn't get ahead of
unix.  The best way to do this is use mirror's LWAIT command, to tell
mirror how to wait before sending each line.  What I use is
LWAIT CHAR '^M'.  This forces MIRROR to send a line, then wait for a CR
to be echoed back (which will occur when unix has digested the line), and then
the next line will be sent.

There are other LWAIT's you could use, like LWAIT Echo, LWAIT Delay, etc, but
these would be slower.

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp
{uunet|utai|watmath}!dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass