[comp.sys.ibm.pc] using a shell within MS-Windows

sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) (11/01/88)

In window systems like X and NeWS, it is possible to invoke a terminal program
with a separate instance of the command-line interpretor so that a user can
have multiple shells running.  In UNIX, this is usually the C shell, Bourne
shell or Korn shell.  In the DOS world, we usually think of a virtual terminal
program as a program to control a modem for remote login.  Are there any
terminal programs for MS-Windows that allow a user to invoke the DOS
command.com interpretor (or better yet, MKS Korn shell)?  qvt was recently
posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc; is it useful in this capacity?

--Dan Sears
--
Daniel Sears                Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Technical Publications      MS 5-42

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (11/01/88)

In article <75496@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
| 							Are there any
| terminal programs for MS-Windows that allow a user to invoke the DOS
| command.com interpretor (or better yet, MKS Korn shell)?  qvt was recently
| posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc; is it useful in this capacity?

Just double click on COMMAND.COM to get a command-line interpreter in
a window. I don't know about Ksh.

+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
                                               #include <disclaimer.h>

todd@metheus.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (11/09/88)

In article <41898@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <75496@sun.uucp> sears@sun.uucp (Daniel Sears) writes:
>| 							Are there any
>| terminal programs for MS-Windows that allow a user to invoke the DOS
>| command.com interpretor (or better yet, MKS Korn shell)?
>
>Just double click on COMMAND.COM to get a command-line interpreter in
>a window. I don't know about Ksh.

	Or if you want a really large command.com session so you
	can run a "real" program in the middle of a windows session,
	try the following:

	Use PIFEDIT to create a command.pif with these attributes:

		Memory Required		640K
		Memory Desired		-1K
		Modifies Screen		yes
		Modifies Memory		yes

	When you double click on this COMMAND.PIF the windows kernel
	will swap itself out to disk, and spawn a child command.com
	with all memory available to it less about 12K.  Just type
	exit when you're through, and windows pops back up the way
	you left it.

	The only bad news is that you have to close any other windows
	apps (except MS-DOS EXEC) before you can do it.

	Yes, I know you could do the same thing by exiting windows
	and coming back in again later, but doing it this way is
	faster.

-Todd Stewart
 Metheus Corporation