[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SEA ARC Rel 5.30

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (11/03/88)

SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.  Large files,
especially .COM or .EXE, seem to pack slightly smaller w/PKARC though.
Difference of <10% on 120K file.)

I'ld be glad to upload this package if anyone would like it.  It's also
available on SEA's BBS (201-473-1991).

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Room 7C-004
10 Whippany Road
Whippany, NJ 07981

email: whuts!2212msr

voice: 201-386-6865 (days)
       201-627-5460 (eve.)
   or  201-627-5895 (eve.)

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (11/04/88)

In article <4979@whuts.UUCP>, 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
> SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
> testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.

Is this speedup because now SEA has the right to use PKARC sources?

:-)         :-)           :-)

"If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em."    ward@cfa.harvard.edu

twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) (11/05/88)

In article <4979@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
>testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.  Large files,
>especially .COM or .EXE, seem to pack slightly smaller w/PKARC though.
>Difference of <10% on 120K file.)

We don't need no stinkin' SEA stuff.
Tom.

jhom@f20.n135.z1.uucp (Joaquim Homrighausen) (11/05/88)

 > SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
 > testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.

This is strange.. this is not the result I experienced. I used
ARC (SEA) on a 600K file of binary information and it took ARC
60% ('bout) longer to crunch the file than it took PKarc to
squash it. I did however notice that ARC 5.3 was much faster
than previous versions.

--
Joaquim Homrighausen - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

raf@cup.portal.com (Robert A Freed) (11/06/88)

In article <4979@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
>testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.  Large files,
>especially .COM or .EXE, seem to pack slightly smaller w/PKARC though.
>Difference of <10% on 120K file.)

It's not too hard to understand this sudden performance improvement in
SEA's product.  Without additional comment, I present the following
(from the Exec-PC BBS, 414/964-5160).

[Captured message follows...]

Conf: PC APPLICATIONS Topic: FILE COMPRESS'N  Ref: 1F4J2331 Date: 11/04/88
From: PHIL KATZ (Leader)                                    Time: 03:38 pm
  To: GRANT ELLSWORTH (Rcvd)
Subj: R: ARC CLONE / UPDATED

Grant,

I said this to you in private, but I thought I would repeat it here
for all to read.

SEA's latest program QARC is derived from PKARC.  I loaded QARC
into DEBUG and found the same assembly/machine code for Crunching,
Huffman Squeezing, 'garbling', and even CRC-16 calculation as in
PKARC 3.6.  This is what I noted from making a cursory look
at QARC.  I also noted that it creates identical archives to
PKARC or PKPAK if Squashing is disabled.

>Phil>

[End of captured message]

-- Bob Freed                        Internet:  raf@cup.portal.com
                                    UUCP:  ...!sun!portal!cup!raf

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) (11/07/88)

In article <111.23720D30@medsoft.uucp> jhom@f20.n135.z1.uucp (Joaquim Homrighausen) writes:

>This is strange.. this is not the result I experienced. I used
>ARC (SEA) on a 600K file of binary information and it took ARC
>60% ('bout) longer to crunch the file than it took PKarc to
>squash it. I did however notice that ARC 5.3 was much faster
>than previous versions.

I have to agree with this.  My tests show that the ARC program is slower
than the PK  software.  The QARC  program  that comes  with 5.30 is very
close  to the PK  software  in  performance.  It  does  generate  larger
archives than ARC does though.

On a different  note, I have been having some problems with the new ARC.
The manual  says that you can convert  ARC files that show up with files
that are  deviants  (I took this to mean PK files) by using  the "ARC C"
construct.  When I tried  this, it wiped out the  archive.  It convert a
100K  file to 89 bytes.  I tried it on one built by the SEA ARC.  It did
the same  thing.  The first  time I tried it, I did not do it on a copy.
It caused me to lose one  archive  file.  Has  anyone  else  tried  this
feature?

--
Bill Gaines
Industrial Computer Corporation

In article <4979@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:

   SEA's ARC Rel 5.3 was released on 10/24.  In my limited
   testing it runs as fast or faster than PKARC.  Large files,
   especially .COM or .EXE, seem to pack slightly smaller w/PKARC though.
   Difference of <10% on 120K file.)

Yeah, but it still barfs on "arc v *", so I'll stick with pkarc.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life.

Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) (11/10/88)

 > From: bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) Date: 7 Nov 88 00:30:47 GMT
 >

 > In article <111.23720D30@medsoft.uucp> jhom@f20.n135.z1.uucp (Joaquim
 > Homrighausen) writes: > >This is strange.. this is not the result I
 > experienced. I used >ARC (SEA) on a 600K file of binary information and
 > it took ARC >60% ('bout) longer to crunch the file than it took PKarc to
 > >squash it. I did however notice that ARC 5.3 was much faster >than
 > previous versions. > >

Bill..If you like using Archives. Try a file manager called "ARCMASTER"
It is much easier then typing "PKXARC -x filename,etc". It is a shareware
product.
Regards, Dan Husk

--
Dan Husk - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709