[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is HPGL?

holbrook@apollo.COM (Alan R. Holbrook) (11/08/88)

    Pardon the ignorance, but I've seen a reference to HPGL
    a couple of times recently, in the context of a graphics
    or plotter language or format.  Can someone please tell
    me what it is?  Thanks...

pyt@hprnd.HP.COM (Pierre-Yves Thoulon) (11/09/88)

HPGL is a plotter language developped years ago by Hewlett-Packard for their
plotters and can be considered as a de-facto industry standard though
I guess other languages may exist.
It stands for Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language or something like that.

Pyt.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/09/88)

In article <3f87015d.bf13@apollo.COM>, holbrook@apollo.COM (Alan R. Holbrook) writes:

>     Pardon the ignorance, but I've seen a reference to HPGL
>     a couple of times recently, in the context of a graphics
>     or plotter language or format.  Can someone please tell
>     me what it is?  Thanks...

HPGL is a plotter language that includes commands for drawing circles,
lines, polygons, plotting several sizes of text.  Like PostScript, it
is sufficiently general that it can be considered a page description
language, though less adequate than PostScript, because it lacks the
programming features of PostScript.

A wide variety of printers and software packages support HPGL.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

patrick@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Patrick McKinley) (11/09/88)

 What is HPGL?

 HPGL is the name for Hewlett Packard Graphic Language, which is an ASCII
 based language "read" by all HP plotters (and other things now as well).
 It is a simple language for selecting pens, moving or drawing lines, arcs
 and even text from firmware fonts.

Patrick A. McKinley                           Hewlett-Packard Co.
PHONE:  (408) 553-2906                        Circuit Technology Marketing
UNIX:   pmckinley@dtc.hp.com                  5301 Stevens Creek Blvd. 53U-83
        ...!hplabs!hpdtc!patrick              Santa Clara, CA 95051-7299
 _ __                          _ _ _    _   ,           _
' )  )     _/_          /     ' ) ) )  ' ) /           //
 /--' __.  /  __  o _. /_      / / / _. /-<   o ____  // _  __  ,
/    (_/|_<__/ (_<_(__/ <_    / ' (_(_ /   ) <_/ / <_</_</_/ (_/_
==============================================================/==
                                                            -'

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (11/10/88)

In article <640@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

> >     Pardon the ignorance, but I've seen a reference to HPGL
> >     a couple of times recently, in the context of a graphics
> >     or plotter language or format.  Can someone please tell
> >     me what it is?  Thanks...

> HPGL is a plotter language that includes commands for drawing circles,
> lines, polygons, plotting several sizes of text.  Like PostScript, it
> is sufficiently general that it can be considered a page description
> language, though less adequate than PostScript, because it lacks the
> programming features of PostScript.

> A wide variety of printers and software packages support HPGL.
> --
> Clayton E. Cramer
> ..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

All good and well, but a least tell him what the acronym HPGL stands for.

		HPGL == Hewlett Packard Graphics Language

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"