[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tandy 1000SX and EGA Cards

oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) (11/04/88)

>Does anyone know if it is possible to get an ATI EGA card to work
>in a Tandy 1000SX ? And if so, how ?   Judging from the problems
>I went through getting a hard disk controller to work (I had to modify
>the controller itself) I doubt it, but I just thought I'd ask.

Are you sure that you are using an 1000 SX ???

All that need be done is flip a dip switch to use a hard drive,
all documented in the manual.  It is, granted, hard to see.  But it is
there.

>   Thanx,
>     Mark

Mark,

Read your manual that came with the 1000SX.  Mine has worked fine for 2
years now.  I have a regular WD controller with a Seagate st138 hd
operating fine for a year.  I dont have my manual with me here
at work, but I remember seeing the switch that disables the on-board
video on those 4 dip-switches right behind the 8088-2 chip on the mother
board.  Flip that switch and that should enable the EGA card to work.

Good Luck ...

Joe

                   /=----------+^ jlmoll@clemson.bitnet
Joe Moll  --------=\  Internet |  oolidjr@hubcap.clemson.edu
Clemson University  \     UUCP |  {pick a hub}!hubcap!oolidjr
Clemson, SC   \     |\=--------+--------/`

Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) (11/07/88)

 > From: oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) Date: 4 Nov 88 13:09:14 GMT
 >

 > >Does anyone know if it is possible to get an ATI EGA card to work >in a
 > Tandy 1000SX ? And if so, how ?   Judging from the problems >I went
 > through getting a hard disk controller to work (I had to modify >the
 > controller itself) I doubt it, but I just thought I'd ask.

Joe...How bout the tigers? Could you provide information on like how to
put a seagate ST225 in a Tandy 1000SX. Thanks

Dan Husk

--
Dan Husk - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

markw@revolver.gatech.edu (Mark Wutka) (11/11/88)

In article <115.2376F6B3@medsoft.uucp> Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) writes:

> > From: oolidjr@hubcap.UUCP (Joe Moll) Date: 4 Nov 88 13:09:14 GMT
> >

> > >Does anyone know if it is possible to get an ATI EGA card to work >in a
> > Tandy 1000SX ? And if so, how ?   Judging from the problems >I went
> > through getting a hard disk controller to work (I had to modify >the
> > controller itself) I doubt it, but I just thought I'd ask.
> >
>Joe...How bout the tigers? Could you provide information on like how to
>put a seagate ST225 in a Tandy 1000SX. Thanks
>
>Dan Husk

I don't know how Joe was able to just put the card in and go, but since
the drive he mentioned is RLL maybe those drives work o.k.

The problem with getting the ST225 to work is that the controller you
normall get with it - the WDXT cannot work on the 1000SX.  You need to
get a WD1002A (I think). I had some instructions that I got from a bulletin
board that told me how to break one of the traces on the card (the 1002A)
and solder two points together and then put a jumper somewhere. I doubted
these instructions so I called Western Digital, told them what I wanted to
do and the instructions they gave me were almost exactly what I had from
the BBS. Be careful, though, since modifying the card will void your warranty.

I don't have the instructions here so what I would suggest is that you call
Western Digital and they will tell you exactly how to do it. It DOES work!

Mark Wutka