[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft flight simulator

bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) (11/05/88)

Hi:

I recently purchased MS Flight Simulator 3.0.  So far I really like the
program, but I'm having one difficulty with it.  I can't figure where they
the North and East coordinates from.  I would like to enter the coordinates
for the local airports, for which I have the correct scenery disk, but
can't figure out how they arrived at those numbers--they certainly are the
latitude and longitude.

If anyone from Microsoft is out there, and can answer my question, I
greatly appreciate it, Or if anyone can answer my question}.

thanks in advance
Bob Boulanger
bob@verdix.verdix.com
}i~&r

t-jasonb@microsoft.UUCP (Jason Barnett) (11/10/88)

In article <117@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>Hi:
>I recently purchased MS Flight Simulator 3.0.  So far I really like the
>program, but I'm having one difficulty with it.  I can't figure where they
>the North and East coordinates from.  I would like to enter the coordinates
>for the local airports, for which I have the correct scenery disk, but
>can't figure out how they arrived at those numbers.

   There is no correlation between longitude/latitude and the airport
coordinates listed in the back of the "Flight Simulator Information
Manual and Flight Handbook".
   Flight Simulator coordinates cannot be easily translated into
real-earth latitude and longitude values because Flight Simulator uses
a flat plane, x-y coordinate system to simulate the earth.
   The chapter titled "The World and Navigation", Pages 76-77 of the
"Flight Simulator Information Manual and Flight Handbook" for Version
3.00, gives the center coordinate (x=0,y=0) of the Flight Simulator
world as "40 degrees north latitude and 88 degrees 30 minute
west/east longitude, about 30 miles southwest of Champaign, Illinois."

 - Jason

carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu (11/12/88)

RE: MS (really SubLogic) Flight Simulator

Remember that MS Flight Simulator was actually written by SubLogic Corp.,
which is based in Champaign. For those of you who think math chips are
required, remember that FS does real time graphics with no floating point,
it's all integer math.