[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dual Video, was Re: Composite video & EGA at same time

paul1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Paul Drover) (11/12/88)

In article <1014@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
>From article <401@oetl1.oetl.UUCP>, by alan@oetl.UUCP (Alan Strassberg):
>>
>> 	Suggestions needed: I would like to use an EGA display
>> 	and a composite monitor at the same time (to monitor
>> 	the same display, one locally, one remotely) - so
>>
>> 	1. Any problems in doing this ?
>> 	2. Suggestions for EGA/composite card that will work
>> 	3. Unforseen problems ?
>>
>You will not be able to run the two monitors at the same time.
>The reason for this is that the two graphics boards will more
>than likely be contending for the same graphics memory space.
>I have seen this problem and the only way you can have two
>cards in the same machine that I know of is if they are a monochrome
>and a graphics card.
>

>--
>Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
>Northern AZ Univ
>Flagstaff, AZ 86011
>{These views are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer}

I must disagree, in our office we have a Cadvision as well as a
Nec Multisync II running on the same machine. The Nec is driven by a VGA
card (Tecmar I believe) while Cadvision is driven by an Nth Engine graphics
card. The catch is that the Nth card is very expensive, about $4000 (not
to be taken as gospel). The reason it is able to coexist with other video
cards is because of its onboard memory, 2 megs of what is call "display
list ram". Supplied with it are various drivers (ACAD rings a bell). All
support software (drivers) are for the DOS environment, other operating
systems, XENIX, QNX, etc, would need the development of their own drivers.
Our application involves computer mapping and tracking of objects and utilizes
both screens. Unfortunately I am not involved directly with the graphics end
of the project so some of the particulars about the card are a bit fuzzy.
If anyone is interested, I can look up and mail, or even post the specs.

Please note that I am in no way associated with Nth graphics, Nec, Tecmar
or even Cadvision, and these opinions are my own.

					Paul Drover
					Ultimateast Data Communications Ltd.
					St. John's, Newfoundland
					Canada