[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3.5" 1.44M drive in vanilla AT

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (11/08/88)

> All,
>
> 	I am trying to get the definative answer to a very simple question:
>
> Will a 1.44M 3.5" drive work if installed at the second drive in an AT, using
> the correct device= statement in the config.sys, and the original
> floppy/harddrive controller found in the AT?  Using DOS 3.3.

Several things need to be true:

To use a 1.44M 3.5" fd your floppy disk controller needs to be capable of
the "high" density mode.  If you are already using a 1.2MB as the first
drive then the controller is "high" density capable.

Second: You need Dos 3.3 or a special device driver, you said you have DOS
3.3 so you have this one covered.

Third: Your BIOS needs to know about how to use 1.44MB drives or you
can configure your 1.44MB as a external drive using the dos driveparam
device line option in your config.sys.

I have AWARD BIOS 3.03 and it recognizes 1.44MB drives.
I have DOS 3.3
3.5" 1.44MB drive worked just fine, I had to change it out when I wanted
	the second full hieght hard disk.

Those are the facts as I know them.  I am not totally sure about the BIOS
since I have not had lots experiance with AT CLONE BIOS's.

Just to show you people will sell you any thing.  Including a program to
read 360K floppies in a 1.2MB drive........ for $79 no less in BYTE, oh well

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/10/88)

The 3.5" 1.44 m drive will not work in an AT unless you have a BIOS that
can handle it.  I have a later model IBM 3270-AT 8 MHz machine, and was
unable to run a 1.44 meg drive with the DOS 3.3 device drivers.  Using
a third-party device driver solved the problem.  In other words, the
hardware should be capable, but your software may not be.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) (11/12/88)

In article <10323@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) writes:

> > 	I am trying to get the definitive answer to a very simple question:
> > 	Will a 1.44M 3.5" drive work if installed as the second drive in an
> >	AT, using the correct device= statement...
> To use a 1.44M 3.5" fd your floppy disk controller needs to be capable of
> the "high" density mode.  If you are already using a 1.2MB as the first
> drive then the controller is "high" density capable.
> Second: You need Dos 3.3 or a special device driver, you said you have DOS
> 3.3 so you have this one covered.
> Third: Your BIOS needs to know about how to use 1.44MB drives or you
> can configure your 1.44MB as a external drive using the dos driveparam
> device line option in your config.sys.
> I have AWARD BIOS 3.03 and it recognizes 1.44MB drives.
> I have DOS 3.3
> 3.5" 1.44MB drive worked just fine, I had to change it out when I wanted
> 	the second full height hard disk.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just couldn't resist adding my $0.02 worth of info to this discussion.
I have an AT clone with AWARD BIOS also, and a 16 bit HD/FD controller.
I bought a Toshiba 3.5" drive with the understanding that I needed
a special driver to make it go 1.44MB with the MS-DOS 3.2 I'm using.
I didn't get the driver right away, so I just used it at 1.2MB with
DS/DD media. Finally, I got the driver, tried to use it without luck.
Then I realized I needed high density media. Now it works fine.

The driver I have is by a company called Bastech. I don't have their
address handy, but if anyone needs it, let me know and I'll find it.
The package comes with a driver to put in "config.sys", a special
"format35.exe" to format at 1.44MB (which enables me to still format
DS/DD's at 1.2MB on the same drive using the regular DOS format command.)

Regarding the use of DOS drvparm - I tried this without success, but
that was before I realized I needed to use DS/HD media. If you can
find out what parameters to use(I don't remember), this might be easier.

-Dave                "Credo quia absurdum"

Disclaimer:
My opinions do not reflect those of anyone I work for or with, or
anyone who does not look like me.