[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zenith's EGA video card.

dhc@cs.purdue.EDU (Daniel H Carpenter) (11/12/88)

I have a zenith 248 machine with zenith's ega video card and their color
monitor (model 1490 I think).  My system came with no documentation on how
to use the card/monitor in the non-standard 640x480 mode.  Can anybody tell
me what I need to do to use this mode (interrupts to set)?  And, is there
any software supporting this mode?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
dhc@medusa.cs.purdue.edu
+-+

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (11/12/88)

In article <5383@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, dhc@cs.purdue.EDU (Daniel H Carpenter) writes:
> I have a zenith 248 machine with zenith's ega video card and their color
> monitor (model 1490 I think).  My system came with no documentation on how
> to use the card/monitor in the non-standard 640x480 mode.  Can anybody tell
> me what I need to do to use this mode (interrupts to set)?  And, is there
> any software supporting this mode?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan
> dhc@medusa.cs.purdue.edu
> +-+

I can tell you that our Zenith's VGA type mode work only with a few packages.

Ventura Desktop (glitch)
Deluxe Paint II
Microsoft Windows (glitch)
Dr. Halo III

Those marked glitch have the annoying habit of screwing with the bottom two
lines.. I think the programs use them for "under the pointer" storage.
It takes a little getting used to.  Also, from our test, this mode gives you
an enhanced color pallette (16 out of 4k is our guess).  The morale..

be careful how you handle this thing :-]

| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |