[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Commodore printer conversion

Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) (11/10/88)

 > From: norden@bgsuvax.UUCP (Lee Norden) Date: 8 Nov 88 15:31:48 GMT
 >

 > I just picked up a Gemini 10X printer that had been hooked up to a
 > Commodore.  The serial connector is a round, 6 pin connector.  Is there
 > an easy way to convert the thing to make it run on an IBM PC?

You should be able to hook a parallel to serial convertor from your IBM
and use a COM port.
Regards, Dan Husk

--
Dan Husk - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

ltf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (11/12/88)

In article <120.237AF00F@medsoft.uucp> Dan.Husk@p9.f1.n360.z1.uucp (Dan Husk) writes:
> > I just picked up a Gemini 10X printer that had been hooked up to a
> > Commodore.  The serial connector is a round, 6 pin connector.  Is there
> > an easy way to convert the thing to make it run on an IBM PC?
>You should be able to hook a parallel to serial convertor from your IBM
>and use a COM port.
>Regards, Dan Husk

I think not...that 6 pin connector is a connection to the C64's serial bus.
This is Commodore's serial version of the IEEE-488 bus (kinda) and requires
quite a bit of work to talk to.  It's been a long time since I've worked with
a C64, but from what I can recall, you'd have a great deal of trouble trying
to talk to the thing using a RS-232 port...in fact, I think it's pretty near
impossible.  Your best bet is probably to check with the manufacturer to see
if there's a board you can replace inside the thing to talk to a regular
parallel port.

Lance

--
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |