[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect questions

stevec@hub.toronto.edu (Stephen Curran) (11/15/88)

A couple of WordPerfect questions:

1.  I'm trying to determine the internal format codes used by
WordPerfect 5.0.  Does anyone know this information or where it can
be found?  I'll use the trial-and-error approach if I have to, but
would prefer to not fight that battle unless forced.

2.  Is there a way to get WordPerfect to run a particular DOS program
directly?  I'm setting a system up for novice users, and would like to
allow them to get out of WordPerfect to run other programs, but would
rather not show them bare DOS.  I have looked at WordPerfect Library,
but for various reasons that is not an acceptable alternative in this
case.  Any other tricks to offer???

thanks...
...stevec

UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!uthub!stevec
ARPA:	stevec%hub.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	stevec@hub.toronto.edu
CDNNET:	stevec@hub.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	stevec@hub.utoronto (may not work from all sites)

npross@watmath.waterloo.edu (N.P.Ross) (11/16/88)

In article <8811150529.AA12858@hub.toronto.edu> stevec@hub.toronto.edu (Stephen Curran) writes:
>A couple of WordPerfect questions:
>
>1.  I'm trying to determine the internal format codes used by
>WordPerfect 5.0.  Does anyone know this information or where it can
>be found?  I'll use the trial-and-error approach if I have to, but
>would prefer to not fight that battle unless forced.

The WordPerfect 5.0 Developer's Toolkit (approx 200 pages) documents all
WP 5.0 file formats (Document, .PRS, .ALL, etc.), printer driver
development, WP resource usage, Shell Program interface, and the WP 5.0
third party interface.

The third party interface allows an external program to control WP
by intercepting/providing keyboard input, enough status information is
provided to make this a viable way to control WP.

This document is available free to developers from WordPerfect Corp.

- David Ziegler