[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Having my computer change speeds...

mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Ginsberg) (11/06/88)

Can anyone give me (or tell me how to make) a file that will change the speed
of my computer?  It changes speeds by pressing ctrl-alt-1 and ctrl-alt-2 (high
and low).  If someone could send me a short program to convince my computer that
these keys are being hit I'd really appreciate it.

Michael Ginsberg, Computer Operator, Carnegie Mellon University
mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/16/88)

In article <AXQmMvy00WB651V2sz@andrew.cmu.edu> mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Ginsberg) writes:
>Can anyone give me (or tell me how to make) a file that will change the speed
>of my computer?  It changes speeds by pressing ctrl-alt-1 and ctrl-alt-2 (high
>and low).  If someone could send me a short program to convince my computer that
>these keys are being hit I'd really appreciate it.

This sounds like the Intel 386AT motherboard. If that's the case,
here are the assembly language programs Intel includes in their
manual for "deturbo" and "turbo" modes (their words, not mine). The
only differences between the two are the messages printed out
(naturally) and the third "mov" command after the begin: point.
Slow moves a 0eaH while fast moves a 0e5h.

This is absolutely not my code. I don't do assembly language. I can
only just barely spell "asm." I proofread this several times so
I'm confident that I copied it correctly. While Intel has a
copyright notice on the book I took this from I'd be real surprised
if they were to get upset with my providing this information to you,
the USENET reader. But if they do, standard disk laimers apply
(usually floppy). (I.e., it ain't Tektronix's fault.)

keith

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383   Beaverton OR 97077    (503)627-6042
UUCP:	uunet!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
ARPA:	keithe%tekgvs.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet:	keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM

;
; slow --- put iSBC 386AT into DETURBO mode (simulated 8MHz)
;
code	segment public
assume cs:code,ds:code
	org	100h
start:	jmp	begin
msg	db	'iSBC 386AT in DETURBO mode','$'
begin:	mov	ax,cs		;set up ds
	mov	ds,ax
	mov	ax,0eaH
	out	64H,ax
	mov	dx,offset msg	;address of deturbo message
	mov	ah,09h		;display string function request
	int	21h		;call DOS
done:	mov	ah,4ch		;terminate process funct request
	int	21h		;call DOS
code	ends
end	start			;start is the entry point

;
; fast --- put iSBC 386AT into TURBO mode (16MHz)
;
code	segment public
assume cs:code,ds:code
	org	100h
start:	jmp	begin
msg	db	'iSBC 386AT in TURBO mode','$'
begin:	mov	ax,cs		;set up ds
	mov	ds,ax
	mov	ax,0e5H
	out	64H,ax
	mov	dx,offset msg	;address of turbo message