[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How many PC can a single PC-NFS server handle.

brb@hafro.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) (11/14/88)

A friend wants to know how many PCs can reasonably be
handled by a single PC-NFS server, given that all the
PCs are active doing light to medium editing and programming.

Assume a Sun-3/50, Sun-3/60 or equivalent server and vanilla
PCs.

Does anybody know?  How many PCs have you seen hanging off
a single server?

		Bjorn R. Bjornsson
		brb@hafro.is

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (11/17/88)

In article <400@hafro.UUCP> brb@hafro.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) writes:
>A friend wants to know how many PCs can reasonably be
>handled by a single PC-NFS server, given that all the
>PCs are active doing light to medium editing and programming.
>
>Assume a Sun-3/50, Sun-3/60 or equivalent server and vanilla
>PCs.
>
>Does anybody know?  How many PCs have you seen hanging off
>a single server?
>
>		Bjorn R. Bjornsson
>		brb@hafro.is

We're actually in the process of trying to gather this data
via the Sun field engineering organization. One problem is
that in the studies we and a couple of our customers have done we never
seem to hit the (expected) "knee" in the (load/response) curve.
Obviously a lot depends on application profile, amount of sharing
of data, whether or not the Sun is being used for any other
work, type of Ethernet card used in the PC, how noisy the network is
(lots of broadcasts tend to do a number on 3C501s :-( ), etc. Statelessness
obviously helps: we don't seem to run into any limits based on server data
structure sizing. I do know that several customers have hung 30-40 PCs
off a 3/60 without ill effect.

Any and all war stories gratefully accepted!

Geoff

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.   +------------------------------------+
PC Distributed Systems(home of PC-NFS)|Someone, somewhere, wants an RFC822 |