[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA and the Leading Edge

thollowe@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Tom Hollowell) (11/05/88)

--
"If more of us valued your ways, food and cheer above horded
 gold, it would be a merrier world."

thollowe@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Tom Hollowell) (11/15/88)

I have a Leading Edge Model D with Hercules right now.  I have a
Paradise EGA 350 Autoswitch card and want to find a monitor that will
handle the capabilites of this card.  But I have some problems.
First, when I installed the card to replace my Hercules, the system
would beep twice on boot-up, which is not normal.  I had the card set
to only work in Hercules mode, but it still beeped twice.  The graphics
were correct, but that sound worried me.  Is there something wrong
that I am doing, or is the sound something the card produces?

Second, I want to find a good monitor for this card.  I have looked at
the Thomson, Samsung, and Princeton brands.   Any comments on these,
any specific models to consider, or any other ideas would be greatly
appreciated.  Especially anyone who has had experience with the LE and
EGA, since this system seems to have a few individual quirks unlike
other PCs or clones.

Thanks in advance.

--

klh@holin.ATT.COM (Ken Hinds) (11/16/88)

In article <355@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, thollowe@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Tom Hollowell) writes:
> I have a Leading Edge Model D with Hercules right now.  I have a
> Paradise EGA 350 Autoswitch card and want to find a monitor that will
> handle the capabilites of this card.  But I have some problems.
> First, when I installed the card to replace my Hercules, the system
> would beep twice on boot-up, which is not normal.  I had the card set
> to only work in Hercules mode, but it still beeped twice.  The graphics
> were correct, but that sound worried me.  Is there something wrong
> that I am doing, or is the sound something the card produces?

Well, unfortunately I can't answer as to WHY the LE Model D does this
but, I too have experienced the same thing!  I've experimented with
AT&T's VDC750 card in my Model D and attached AT&T's 319 EGA Monitor.
Upon booting the system I got the 'ol double beep!  I really think
it has to do with disabling LE's indigenous video controller... and
not the addition of the board...

> Second, I want to find a good monitor for this card.  I have looked at
> the Thomson, Samsung, and Princeton brands.   Any comments on these,
> any specific models to consider, or any other ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

Well I have one of the 'low end' Thompson IRGB monitors I use in CGA mode.
... and I'm NOT really pleased with its display capabilities.  I have
heard some good things about Samsung and Princeton though!

Ken Hinds
UUCP: ..!att!holin!klh

wilso_d@xanth.cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (11/16/88)

My understanding is that the two beeps from the leading edge, are just its
way of informing the user that there is no monitor... <grin>, or at least,
so the computer thinks.  I've talked to several tech people to see if there
was a way to disable it, but so far, I've gotten nowhere.

...dewitte

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (11/18/88)

Actually, my hunch is that this is a result of adding the EGA card into a
PC XT type BIOS machine.  I put an EGA card into an IBM PC, and lo and behold!
the same thing happens.  My hunch is that the ROM on the EGA card takes over
some vectors, and then jumps back into the BIOS ROM init code BEFORE the
BIOS ROM's beep, so that things can get re-initialized properly (with the EGA
ROM in the loop).  This doesn't need to happen on an AT class machine, as the
AT class BIOS is written with EGAs in mind.

On the other hand, this is all guessing, so I could have pie in my face ...

Everett Kaser
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett
everett%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com