[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Shugart 712 hard drive

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (11/13/88)

I have a friend who has a Shugart 712 drive (with no manuals) and
he is looking for information on it.  He has it formatted for
12 meg, but some software tells him it's a 20 meg drive.  Needless
to say, he'd like to squeeze that extra 8 meg out of it if he can.
He has tried reformatting, etc., and also has speedstore, but hasn't
been successful.

If you know the specs on this drive, specifically the number of cylinders,
heads, and sector size, or even have the phone number for Shugart (are they
still in business?) I'd appreciate it if you could email it to me.

Thanks
Roger Cornelius         ...!uunet!pdn!jc3b21!sherpa!rac

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/14/88)

In article <496@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:

| If you know the specs on this drive, specifically the number of cylinders,
| heads, and sector size, or even have the phone number for Shugart (are they
| still in business?) I'd appreciate it if you could email it to me.

  I believe that Shugart Associates (the original company) is defunct.
Shugart Technologies (the new Shugart) is now called Seagate.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (11/16/88)

In article <12585@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <496@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
>
> | heads, and sector size, or even have the phone number for Shugart (are they
> | still in business?) I'd appreciate it if you could email it to me.
>
>   I believe that Shugart Associates (the original company) is defunct.
> Shugart Technologies (the new Shugart) is now called Seagate.
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

Well, as an ex-Shugart employee, I've got to set the record straight.

Shugart Associates was perhaps the leading small-system disk drive company in
the late 70's and early 80's, but took a rapid dive by 1983.  Among its many
problems was high attrition to start-ups.  One such startup was called Shugart
Technologies, naturally enough, because one of its founders was Allen Shugart,
who was also a founder of Shugart Associates.

However, Shugart parent Xerox got Shugart Associates to change its name because
of trademark infringement.  (When Shugart Technologies first announced its product,
Shugart Associates got tons of phone calls.)

Seagate was the closest they could come up with.  And, Scotts Valley is close
to the sea.

When Xerox finally shut down Shugart Associates in early 1985, they sold off
all rights,  including the trademark, to a company in the LA area whose name
I can't recall now.

The way that the disk drive market moves, by now all of Shugart's products are
obsolescent in the market.  Except for the 1/2 high 5 1/4 drives, actually
made by Matsushita (Panasonic), there is no good reason to use a Shugart product.

In particular, I would not use a Shugart 712.  It was probably a 10 or 12 MB
drive formatted, and never got widespread attention.  Much better to use an
equivalent Seagate drive, if cost is an issue.  I doubt that you could get
spare parts for the Shugart drive, let alone manuals.

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (11/18/88)

From article <506@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, by burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton):
> In article <12585@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>> In article <496@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
>>
> Well, as an ex-Shugart employee, I've got to set the record straight.
>
> The way that the disk drive market moves, by now all of Shugart's products are
> obsolescent in the market.  Except for the 1/2 high 5 1/4 drives, actually
> made by Matsushita (Panasonic), there is no good reason to use a Shugart product.

	Unless of course you already have one, which my friend does.

> In particular, I would not use a Shugart 712.  It was probably a 10 or 12 MB
> drive formatted, and never got widespread attention.  Much better to use an
> equivalent Seagate drive, if cost is an issue.  I doubt that you could get
> spare parts for the Shugart drive, let alone manuals.

From the replies I received (Thanks, I replied back), it is a 10 MB
drive.  If you'd be willing to swap this Shugart out for a comparable
sized or larger Seagate, free of charge, I'm sure I could convince
him to agree.  He'd probably even settle for one without the manuals. :-)

Roger Cornelius       uunet!pdn!jc3b21!sherpa!rac