[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA, Monitor, Question

jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) (11/05/88)

I am considering buying my first Color Monitor.  I will probably buy an
Everex MicroEnhancer I (600 x 480) card and a Samsung EGA monitor
(roughly the same number of pixels as the card).

Now the question.  At one store here, the Micro Enhancer II card is only
$20 more ($129 vs. $149).  Is there any advantage in buying an EGA card
which is more dense (800x600) than the Monitor I plan to buy?  I expect
to use this monitor for several years ...

Rainy Days and
Automatic Weapons Fire
Alway Get Me Down.

These opinions are mine.
Jerry.  (jerry@Starfish.Convergent.COM)
-----

ps. One person on this heading suggested buying from JD Reed, a mail
order house in New York.  Does anyone have an adress or phone number for
them?

gph.

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (11/07/88)

In article <799@starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
>I am considering buying my first Color Monitor.  I will probably buy an
>Everex MicroEnhancer I (600 x 480) card and a Samsung EGA monitor
>(roughly the same number of pixels as the card).
>
>Now the question.  At one store here, the Micro Enhancer II card is only
>$20 more ($129 vs. $149).  Is there any advantage in buying an EGA card
>which is more dense (800x600) than the Monitor I plan to buy?  I expect
>to use this monitor for several years ...

	You would need a multisync monitor before you could see more than
640x480.  My question would be do you NEED to see more?

		David Deitch, Computer Connection
		dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.bitnet
		Fido 1:100/22

naughton%wind@Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/08/88)

In article <324@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu (David Deitch) writes:
>In article <799@starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
>> Is there any advantage in buying an EGA card
>>which is more dense (800x600) than the Monitor I plan to buy?  I expect
>>to use this monitor for several years ...
>>
>	You would need a multisync monitor before you could see more than
>640x480.  My question would be do you NEED to see more?
>
>		David Deitch, Computer Connection

Why would you NEED more than 640x480?  Are you kidding?  I have 1600x1280
on my screen right now and it is not enough!  My VGA at home has 1024x768
and it seems tiny in comparison...

"...you can always use more pixels..." -Me

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@Sun.COM
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (11/17/88)

In article <76529@sun.uucp> naughton@sun.UUCP (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>In article <324@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu (David Deitch) writes:
>>... 640x480.  My question would be do you NEED to see more?
>>
>Why would you NEED more than 640x480?  Are you kidding?  I have 1600x1280
>on my screen right now and it is not enough!  My VGA at home has 1024x768
>and it seems tiny in comparison...

I agree with Patrick, but he is asking you to "trust him".  Just to
convince you he's not Joe Isuzu, here's a future-look that could
spoil you so as to not want to go back:

Before I'll convert an awful lot of my paper to electronic impulses,
I'll need a screen that can show me two full 8-1/2 by 11 pages
(that's inches, there's a slightly larger standard metric size),
plus some control area (for menus, search strings, status, etc).
when you add up the pixels for this, you get about 1280x1000 for
an 80x66 character page.  If instead you assume proportional fonts
for a WYSIWYG word processor, 1600x1280 sounds about right.

The applications for this might be program debugging, or could be
the prerequisite hardware before CD-ROM books make sense.  (I'd
probably be pretty dissatisfied with electronic reference manuals
without a display of two full pages.)

Hope this helps.
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

jxdl@lanl.gov (Jerry DeLapp) (11/22/88)

> In article <799@starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
> >I am considering buying my first Color Monitor.  I will probably buy an
> >Everex MicroEnhancer I (600 x 480) card and a Samsung EGA monitor
> >(roughly the same number of pixels as the card).
> >
> >Now the question.  At one store here, the Micro Enhancer II card is only
> >$20 more ($129 vs. $149).  Is there any advantage in buying an EGA card
> >which is more dense (800x600) than the Monitor I plan to buy?  I expect
> >to use this monitor for several years ...

The main thing to watch out for is to NEVER NEVER use the higher
resolution modes of the card with your standard monitor. You'll fry
your monitor if you try. Thus, the answer to your question is "No,
not unless you plan a monitor upgrade in the near future"

The only other thing would be to check on whether the ME-II card has
other goodies (such as automatic detection of graphic modes (EGA vs.
CGA vs. MDA) along with automatic switching) that the ME-I doesn't/

--
_    /| The opinions here are my own, and even I don't agree with me :-)
\'o.O'  I am not an employee of LANL, I just use their computers.