[comp.sys.ibm.pc] write protect disk drive

baruchc@techunix.BITNET (Baruch Cochavy) (11/18/88)

I would like to write protect the C partition of a hard disk, but keep
drive D free. I have something like WPHD, but it write protects C *and*
D drives. Anybody, any clew ?
        If everything else fails, I might even try writing a TSR that
would grab the disk driver by its tail (strategy routine) to do the
work. Any clew on that is welcome also.

        Thanks in advance,
        Baruch Cochavy
        baruchc@techunix.BITNET
        baruchc@techunix.technion.ac.il

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (11/21/88)

In article <6266@techunix.BITNET> baruchc%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Baruch Cochavy) writes:
>I would like to write protect the C partition of a hard disk, but keep
>drive D free.

Now that viruses (virii?) have finally gotten appropriate attention,
I've been thinking of adding HARDWARE write-protect to my hard
disks so that questionable software can be exercised from floppy
only.  Anybody have any thoughts about this?
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  The Malpass Principle:  Given a binary choice, the statistical

doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) (11/22/88)

In article <6266@techunix.BITNET>, baruchc@techunix.BITNET (Baruch Cochavy)
   writes:
> I would like to write protect the C partition of a hard disk, but keep
> drive D free. I have something like WPHD, but it write protects C *and*
> D drives. Anybody, any clew ?

I have used software called "Disk Manager" by OnTrack (sp?) quite a bit,
mainly for configurations with uncommon drives. However, one option I
noticed is the "type" you can assign to a partition. If I recall
correctly, the options are: MS-DOS, Write-Read, Read-Only, and 'other'
(you supply a number for the type).               ^    ^
I am not sure without referring to the documentation, but you MAY be able
to boot from the Read-Only type partition. Otherwise my suggestion would
be to make a very small DOS boot partition, and use "JOIN" in your
autoexec.bat to mount the Read-Only under the root directory on the boot
partition.
To summarize, this is not the only way to do this, I am sure. But I would
highly recommend this software because of other features, such as
dynamically changing disk parameters while formatting, etc.
Don't recall the price but I don't think it's expensive because a version
was included with an ST238 I bought once...
(I am in no way affiliated with the company(s) that market said software)

-Dave                "Credo quia absurdum"

Disclaimer:
My opinions do not reflect those of anyone I work for or with, or
anyone who does not look like me.