[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C 2.0 BUG

alex@mks.UUCP (Alex White) (11/19/88)

TurboC 1.5 and previous releases accepted input source files delimited
only by newlines.
TurboC 2.0 accepts source files delimited only by carriage-return-newline.
This is rather annoying given that virtually all other programs on DOS
these days accept either.
When you have all your source files under Unix, and just compile them
under DOS over NFS, then having just the newline is the only sensible thing
to do.

But Borland's tech support line doesn't give a damn.
``This is not a bug''.
They can maybe put in a request for a future change to make it work again.
Bah.  It costs them nothing to make it work in the first place, it takes
extra effort to make it not work.

Anyhow, if any of the rest of you have a similar development environment,
obviously avoid release 2.0

brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) (11/22/88)

In article <565@mks.UUCP> alex@mks.UUCP (Alex White) writes:
> TurboC 1.5 and previous releases accepted input source files delimited
> only by newlines.
>
> TurboC 2.0 accepts source files delimited only by carriage-return-newline.
> This is rather annoying given that virtually all other programs on DOS
> these days accept either.

While TurboC 1.5 did accept files delimited only by newlines, the
lines numbers generated in its error messages were often wrong.

If we ever receive our copy of TurboC 2.0, I'll be sure to complain --
I also compile a number of files straight from unix (though not via NFS).

Is there really nothing good about TurboC 2.0?
--
Brian Campbell        mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4
Cognos Incorporated   uucp: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!brianc