[comp.sys.ibm.pc] LaserJet + Extended Character Set

benh@pnet01.cts.com (B. Humphreys) (11/20/88)

I recently had the oppertunity to buy a brand new LaserJet + for $800.  Being
the bargin hunter that I am, I opted immediately.  My only problem is that I
have a number of manuals which, when printed, use the upper IBM character set
(i.e. the boxes.)  Since this printer does not support these characters in
it's default state, I am forced to use a friend's II.  I am little better off
than I used to be.

How can you get a + to do the box characters?  Soft fonts?  $250 for a
cartridge?  ...

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!benh
ARPA: crash!pnet01!benh@nosc.mil
INET: benh@pnet01.cts.com

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (11/23/88)

benh@pnet01.cts.com (B. Humphreys) writes:
>How can you get a + to do the box characters?  Soft fonts?  $250 for a
>cartridge?  ...
There are some possibilities, but in most cases you have to do a bit of
programming too.  I don't think there are many soft fonts or cartridges
with a true IBM ext.char.set such as the LaserJetII has.  That means you
must provide a program with a translation table to convert the special
characters to something like a Postion-Minus-Position-Vertical-Position
combination for a simple LeftUpperEdge ... (Although with a font with
the linedraw set it may be easier.)
<Jan v't Ent>