[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Cause/cure of bad sectors??

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) (11/21/88)

A friend of mine has a Seagate 20MB hard disk in a Leading Edge clone.
She has been having some problems with data on the disk -- for
example, when she tries to run Wordperfect, she'll get a Read error;
on a retry she'll get a General Failure error. Since wordperfect
occasionally balks if a directory (not its own) is bad, I tried doing
an xtree /a to see if all the directories would show up. It worked
fone, and then so did wordperfect. The next day WP was down again, I
did a "recover" on it, and it had bad sectors. Her question is, how do
sectors go bad in a program that's occupied the same disk space for a
year? And, is this a self-propagating problem; i.e., is simply
ignoring it actively bad for the disk, or is this simply a result of
wear and tear on the disk that one might as well put up with if one is
making backups?

Thanks,
--

rutgers!phoenix.princeton.edu!greg   Gregory A Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ
    "Take 2*3*5*7*11*13.  It's divisible by 59." --Matt Crawford

matt@nbires.nbi.com (Matthew Meighan) (11/22/88)

In <4523@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak)
says:

> A friend of mine has a Seagate 20MB hard disk in a Leading Edge clone.
> She has been having some problems with data on the disk -- for
> example, when she tries to run Wordperfect, she'll get a Read error;
> on a retry she'll get a General Failure error.
> [stuff deleted]  The next day WP was down again, I
> did a "recover" on it, and it had bad sectors. Her question is, how do
> sectors go bad in a program that's occupied the same disk space for a
> year? And, is this a self-propagating problem; i.e., is simply
> ignoring it actively bad for the disk, or is this simply a result of
> wear and tear on the disk that one might as well put up with if one is
> making backups?

I had the same problem with a Seagate 20MB disk, that is, sectors
going bad at random every week or so.  I did a low-level (physical) format
on the disk and the problem went away.  The drive ran fine for a couple
of years after that.

If you have a Western Ditital controller, you can do a low-level
format by going into debug and typing

- g=C800:05 <cr>

at the debug prompt.  Of course, this will blow away all data on the
disk, so do a backup first.

Otherwise, whoever sold you the drive and/or controller should be able
to tell you how to do the physical format.

doc@holin.ATT.COM (David Mundhenk) (11/22/88)

In article <4523@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) writes:

> A friend of mine has a Seagate 20MB hard disk in a Leading Edge clone.
> She has been having some problems with data on the disk ......
> ignoring it actively bad for the disk, or is this simply a result of
> wear and tear on the disk that one might as well put up with if one is
> making backups?

I am not an expert on hard drives, but since you mention that backups
have been done, the first thing I would try is to re-do the low level
format, partitioning and DOS format, then re-load everything. You might
want to try Norton Utilities to see if it finds any problems. Another
possibility is a new software product called "SpinRite", which will
optimize your interleave and re-low level format the drive without
having to restore everything.
(I am in no way affiliated with any marketers of the above software)

-Dave                "Credo quia absurdum"
   /^,             , ,  .  .   ,  ,             , ,          ,
  /  } _, , , . __/  | /| /   /| /|  , , __, __/ /_  _, __, /_
 /_./ (_l |/ / /_/   |/ |/.  / |/ | /_/ / / /_/ / / /_ / / /\

Disclaimer:
My opinions do not reflect those of anyone I work for or with, or
anyone who does not look like me.

ljw@whuxr.ATT.COM (WU) (11/23/88)

In article <4523@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) writes:

>						Her question is, how do
> sectors go bad in a program that's occupied the same disk space for a
> year? And, is this a self-propagating problem; i.e., is simply
> ignoring it actively bad for the disk, or is this simply a result of
> wear and tear on the disk that one might as well put up with if one is
> making backups?

i started using a package called spinrite recently (reviewed in
november byte).  this package allegedly "maximises disk performance"
and "minimises problems."  in their doc, the implication is that
as a drive "ages" the low level track formatting does not get
rewritten.  as the drive goes "out of spec" and/or alignment,
defects may become usable while previously good spots may become
bad.

i used this on one of my drives that was starting to get flakey
in spots (no bad tracks from manufacturer).  sure enough, some of
the tracks i mapped out were bad while some were returned to use
after a re-write of the low level track format.  in addition, a few
other tracks were marked as bad.

i haven't had any long term experience with spinrite, but i found it
to be user friendly and it seemed to get the job done.

les wu

p.s. i have no connection with gibson research corp.

Les J. Wu					AT&T Bell Laboratories
(UUCP) att!whuxr!ljw				One Whippany Road
(arpa) ljw!whuxr@research.att.com		WH 2F-316
						Whippany, NJ 07981
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY ***		Tel: (201)386-3409