[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question about PC Network Mailorder

galvin@yale.UUCP (Peter Galvin) (11/02/88)

I seem to recall that the Mail Order company PC Network had some serious
problems (including non-shipment of goods) and went Chapter 11.  Now
they are back, and are one of the few companies offering reasonable
prices and a 10-day money-back guarantee.  Has anyone tried them
recently?  Has anyone taken them up on their 10 day return policy?
(I'm thinking about getting an Intel Inboard 386/AT but I'm not
positive that it will work in my AT clone).

Thanks for any feedback...mail to me and I'll summarize.

boettche@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Michael Boettcher) (11/05/88)

In article <41917@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> galvin@yale-celed.UUCP (Peter Galvin) writes:
>I seem to recall that the Mail Order company PC Network had some serious
>problems (including non-shipment of goods) and went Chapter 11.  Now
>they are back, and are one of the few companies offering reasonable
>prices and a 10-day money-back guarantee.  Has anyone tried them
>recently?  Has anyone taken them up on their 10 day return policy?
>(I'm thinking about getting an Intel Inboard 386/AT but I'm not

WARNING!  Use a credit card or order C.O.D.  If you have a decent card, you
will not have to pay for unshipped goods.  The credit card company goes after
the company themselves.  I believe someone posted something about this befor.
They also mentioned that you should make sure your acount is not charged until
your order is shipped.  I was one of the people burned when they went bankrupt.

Michael Boettcher                 boettche@gumby,cs,wisc,edu
Student, Univ. of Wisconsin
Applied Math, Engr. and Pysics

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (11/15/88)

On the subject of "Question about PC Network Mailorder",
galvin@yale-celed.UUCP (Peter Galvin) says:

$ I seem to recall that the Mail Order company PC Network had some serious
$ problems (including non-shipment of goods) and went Chapter 11.  Now
$ they are back, and are one of the few companies offering reasonable
$ prices and a 10-day money-back guarantee.  Has anyone tried them
$ recently?  Has anyone taken them up on their 10 day return policy?
$ (I'm thinking about getting an Intel Inboard 386/AT but I'm not
$ positive that it will work in my AT clone).

I don't know if they're back but why would you want to deal with
a company that has such a horrible reputation?  Deal with a reputable
company and you'll be happy.  If you want to get the last 3% off
the price, you get less than you pay for.

I recommend PC Connection in New Hampshire.  Their prices are always
pennies above the lowest you can find, and they are a perfect
company to deal with in every way.

Tom Reingold
PAPERNET:                      |INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP-NET:       bellcore!tr
445 South St room 2L350        |SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work],
Morristown, NJ 07960-1910      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

rose@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Two-Headed Dog) (11/15/88)

I would steer clear of the new incarnation of this place.  I ordered from them
recently,about ten minutes before I picked up the thread here on their
past problems.  They advertise drives with a Western Digital controller.
The drive I ordered arrived with a Seagate controller.  So I called and
asked- do the drives really come with a Western Digital controller. I was
assured that they do.  I talked with "management", who explained that
they "sometimes run out of the WD controllers" and ship a{ equivalent
controller.  Now it may be that the Seagate controller is equivalent,
or it may not be, but it is not for these guys to decide.  It is obvious
to me that this is a bait and switch scam, which is illegal.  A reputable
dealer is honest and explicit about one's right to reject a substituted
part, and does not lie about the availability of the advertised and
promised part.  Note that the time between my order and the conversation
totalled about four days.  So, I can see no justitification for using
these guys.  They lack basic integrity.

	-Scott Rose

wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (William Norris) (11/28/88)

In article <6670@spool.cs.wisc.edu> rose@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Two-Headed Dog) writes:
>totalled about four days.  So, I can see no justitification for using
>these guys.  They lack basic integrity.
>
>	-Scott Rose

And perhaps the best reason not to order anything from PC Network:
They've never had the *BEST* price on anything.  After
adding 3%, shipping/handling, credit card surcharges, etc.
I've always managed to find a better deal elsewhere.

--
wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu                             |    /// Seulement
William B. Norris IV                               |\\ ///  l'Amiga peut