[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is different about slot 8 in an XT

lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (11/16/88)

I've read that in an IBM PC/XT, slot 8, the one closest to the power supply
is somehow different and certain cards will not work or must be specially
configured to work in that slot.  I'm wondering in what way (briefly) is
it different from the other slots and for what purpose, and does this hold
true for XT compatibles and "higher" machines (AT's, etc.).

--
John Wright      /////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8

wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (William Norris) (11/28/88)

In article <3077@dalcs.UUCP> lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) writes:
>I've read that in an IBM PC/XT, slot 8, the one closest to the power supply
>is somehow different and certain cards will not work or must be specially
>configured to work in that slot.  I'm wondering in what way (briefly) is
>it different from the other slots and for what purpose, and does this hold
>true for XT compatibles and "higher" machines (AT's, etc.).

Slot 8 was originally designed for IBM's expansion chassis.  A card was
inserted into slot 8 with a cable to the other box.  The difference
between slot 8 and the rest is that slot 8 has stricter timing requirements.
(120ms vs 480ms, I think.)  I would recommend not putting any cards in
this slot unless the manual states that it is OK, or there is a jumper on
the card for slot 8 (like Microsoft Bus Mouse).

--
wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu                             |    /// Seulement
William B. Norris IV                               |\\ ///  l'Amiga peut