[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desktop Publishing & the Deskjet

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (11/28/88)

Could anyone suggest a reasonable desktop publishing package that is
inexpensive (<$200) and will work with my HP DeskJet inkjet printer.
Also it needs to run on a plain vanilla 286 w/Hercules card, 640K and\
a 20M hard disk.  Many thanks.

Warren
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (11/30/88)

In article <1302@psu-cs.UUCP>, warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) writes:
> Could anyone suggest a reasonable desktop publishing package that is
> inexpensive (<$200) and will work with my HP DeskJet inkjet printer.
> Also it needs to run on a plain vanilla 286 w/Hercules card, 640K and\
> a 20M hard disk.  Many thanks.
>
> Warren

While I have not used your particular combination, I believe that
the PFS First Publisher will do the job for you.  The current release
is 2.0 and is around $80 or so.  It allows you to mix graphics and text
(including flowing the text around the picture), modify and create new
graphics as well as many other features. I know that it supports most
dot matrix printers as well as my Laserjet II so I suspect that it
will also support the deskjet printer.  Not Pagemaker quality but
then not pagemaker price either!!.  PC mag rated the earlier release
very favorably some time ago and the new release looks even better.
Give it a try.

mikey

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")