[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Having trouble with PKARC's @list feature

lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (11/25/88)

PKARC/PAK 3.6 added a feature where you could supply filenames to be
operated on in a text file as an alternative to listing them on the
command line.  As I read the documentation, and have tried to use it,
you have a text file LIST with filenames one to a line as:
	FILE1.EXT
	FILE2.EXT
	FILE3.EXT
	.
	.
	.
Then you can enter:
	PKARC x ARCHIVE @LIST
where "x" is any of the option letters.  This is supposed to be equivalent to:
	PKARC x ARCHIVE FILE1.EXT FILE2.EXT FILE3.EXT
and likewise for PKXARC.

Well, I can get it to work for PKARC A, PKARC M, PKXARC -X and PKXARC -V but
not for PKARC V or PKARC D.  The case of the filenames in the LIST file makes
no difference, as it shouldn't.

Is this a known bug?  Am I doing something wrong?  Have I missed something
in the documentation?

Thanks for enlightenment.

--
John Wright      /////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8

lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (11/30/88)

In article <[536.1]andyl@palnet.comp.ibmpc> andyl@palnet.UUCP ([Andy Lester]) writes:
>I've only had a limited amount of exposure to the PK[X]ARC series of
>programs, but my first guess is that you can't pass a filename
>containing other filenames at the end of PKARC V because you can't
>do it from the command line either.  Specifically, I've tried,
>unsuccesfully, to execute a PKARC V *.* to Verbosely list all .ARCs
>in the directory, but I guess it doesn't like to do it for more than
>one file.

This article was, I'm fairly certain, in response to an article I posted
about an apparent bug in PKARC (see below).  The writer above mis-understood
my problem but his article got at least two followup postings while mine
got only the one (his).  I have read that the net is a bit shakey and often
postings are not fully circulated (and as one who inevitably misses at least
one part of any multi-part postings to Comp.binaries.ibm.pc because they
never make it to this site, I can agree).  I have seen it suggested that
when you don't get the expected level of response to a posting, you re-
post it in hopes of getting a higher random circulation.  As such, hopefully
not belabouring the point, here is my original posting (slightly embellished):

PKARC/PAK 3.6 added a feature where you could supply filenames to be
operated on in a text file as an alternative to listing them on the
command line.  As I read the documentation, and have tried to use it,
you have a text file LIST with filenames one to a line as:
	FILE1.EXT
	FILE2.EXT
	FILE3.EXT
	.
	.
	.
Then you can enter:
	PKARC x ARCHIVE @LIST
where "x" is any of the option letters.  This is supposed to be equivalent to:
	PKARC x ARCHIVE FILE1.EXT FILE2.EXT FILE3.EXT ...
and likewise for PKXARC.

Well, I can get it to work for PKARC A, PKARC M, and PKXARC with all options
but not for PKARC V or PKARC D.

The PK(X)ARC manual states the feature can be used:
"With PKARC:  Can be used with any commands except the View Technical and
              File Information commands. See Command Structure Chart page
              8, Col 7 & 8   PATH directions can be used inside the list.

 With PKXARC: Can be used with ANY default or optional command.  No PATH
             location can be used inside the list."

The two options that don't work are different from the rest in that when
filenames are given they refer to files that are inside the archive (as
in PKXARC) and not outside as they would be if files were to be added or
moved.  It would seem that PKARC assumes that the filenames in a @list file
are supposed to exist outside the archive in the current or specified
directory regardless of the option specified.  This is odd given that it
handles files specified on the command line correctly for all options.
Also, having the files named in the @list actually present in the current
directory when trying this has no effect.

The case of the filenames in @list makes no difference, as it shouldn't.
Setting FILECHECK=RELAXED in a PKARC.CFG also had no effect.

Is this a known bug?  Am I doing something wrong?  Have I missed something
in the documentation?

Thanks for enlightenment.

It's interesting that PKARC V * does not work while PKXARC -V * does.
This is a bit more understandable since it makes sense to extract from
many archives at once while it doesn't make sense (or makes less sense)
to add the same files to more than one archive at a time.  The manual
does say that the "*.arc" feature can be used to *Un-arc* from multiple
files.  Could be clearer but there it is.

The poster above confused the use of filenames in @list files, thinking
that you listed the names of *archive files* you wanted to operate on.

Oh well, at least he responded! :-)

Uucp: lane@dalcs.uucp or {uunet,watmath,utai}!dalcs!lane