[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Two Monitors W/Leading Edge Model D

huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) (11/19/88)

It is possible to have to monitors connected to a PC at the same time
but you will not be able to *display* to both monitors simultaneously
eg for a class room where you use the monochrome and the calss watches
a large screen TV.

Many years back (if my memory serves me correctly) PC Magazine published
a memory resident utility called DOORS which allowed you to switch
back and forth but as far as I know you *still* can't have both
monitors active at the same time.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the issue that the utility was
listed.

Hui Lin

huilin@hpinddf@hplabs

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (11/30/88)

In article <4330111@hpindda.HP.COM> huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) writes:
>It is possible to have to monitors connected to a PC at the same time
>but you will not be able to *display* to both monitors simultaneously
>eg for a class room where you use the monochrome and the calss watches
>a large screen TV.

Actually, you CAN have both monitors active if the application is
written properly.  Example, AutoCad will use a mono display for textural
display and a CGA for graphics.  Example:  A Mandelbrot program that
Jim Willis and I wrote displays the set on an EGA/VGA while displaying
statistics on the mono screen.  Example:  I have modified my editor to
use 2 displays instead of split screen (ain't source code wonderful!!)
Example:  CodeView gladly uses 2 screens, one for the application and
one for debug info.

The only 2 conditions that have to exist (assuming both display cards
are installed), are that the application must know where in the memory
map to write video in the proper format and that the video controllers
on both adaptors be initialized. (The leading edge model M is a glaring
exception to the rule that most bioses init all video cards at boot)

>Many years back (if my memory serves me correctly) PC Magazine published
>a memory resident utility called DOORS which allowed you to switch
>back and forth but as far as I know you *still* can't have both
>monitors active at the same time.

Well, I don't know about the PC mag utility but the following DOS commands
work just fine to change the active display:

mode co80  (cga)
mode mono  (mono)

>Hui Lin
>
>huilin@hpinddf@hplabs

John De Armond                             | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving
...!gatech!stiatl!john                     | thru Atlanta!

bank@csclea.ncsu.edu (Lord Ralter) (11/30/88)

   In <432@bdt.UUCP>, Hui Lin writes about multiple monitor displays
and PC Magazines DOORS utility.

   DOORS is NOT a monitor display utility. Instead, it is sort of
a quick-and-dirty DoubleDOS...a program that allows you to switch
back and forth between applications. However, unlike a window, a
door does not support multi-tasking or background processes.

   I see no reason why you could not place a splitter on the
monitor adapter output and run it to two different screens.
Here at NC State, we do it all the time. I really don't
understand what the problem is.

Dave
bank@csclea.UUCP

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (11/30/88)

In article <4330111@hpindda.HP.COM>, huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) writes:
> It is possible to have to monitors connected to a PC at the same time
> but you will not be able to *display* to both monitors simultaneously
> eg for a class room where you use the monochrome and the calss watches
> a large screen TV.

No, I think you can display on both monitors simultaneously.  For example,
if you had an MDA in the system with a CGA (for example), you could configure
a TSR like SideKick to pop up on the monochrome monitor, while something
else was displayed on the colour monitor.  As another example, I understand
that 123, for example, can display text on one monitor and graphs on another
monitor.  (I got the impression that you could change numbers in the
spreadsheet on one monitor, and see them reflected on the other, but I may
be wrong on this point.)
Paul Gomme                                          p.gomme@uwovax.bitnet