[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Postscript Help

zentner@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Zentner) (11/22/88)

I have two questions about Microsoft pageview.  Has anyone had any
luck making a printfile for the Apple Laserwriter, transferring
it to a UNIX system, and printing it via a command like:

	lpr -Pname -l file

The printer blinks for a while (5 mins) and never puts out any paper,
just goes on to the next job in the queue.  Am I missing something
like having to delete or add a few lines?

Also, has anyone else had the problem of Word telling you the page break
is in one place and pageview putting it somewhere else?

Please reply via email.  Thanks.
--
Mike Zentner
School of Chemical Engineering            zentner@ca.ecn.purdue.edu

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (11/25/88)

In article <618@cb.ecn.purdue.edu> zentner@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Zentner) writes:

>I have two questions about Microsoft pageview.  Has anyone had any
>luck making a printfile for the Apple Laserwriter, transferring
>it to a UNIX system, and printing it via a command like:
>
>	lpr -Pname -l file
>
>The printer blinks for a while (5 mins) and never puts out any paper,
>just goes on to the next job in the queue.  Am I missing something
>like having to delete or add a few lines?
>
>Mike Zentner
>School of Chemical Engineering            zentner@ca.ecn.purdue.edu
>Purdue University, CMET Building          zentner@purche.bitnet
>West Lafayette, IN 47907               {ihnp4,ucbvax}!pur-ee!zentner

The Apple Laserwriter interfaces serially, and expects the driver to under-
stand XON/XOFF.  I had a similar experience trying to make a Laserwriter
talk to a PC until I installed a program which makes the PC serial port
understand XON/XOFF (not the PC default).  Symptome were identical to those
you describe.  If this is a first installation on yoyr Unix box, you might
want to check the `stty -a` output and verify that the port is set for
"IXON -IXANY".  Hope this helps.

Walt Novinger          | ...!sun!plx!walt              |                       ~
Plexus Computers, Inc. | ...!sun!plx!sixwbn!walt       | Joke 'em if they can't~
3833 N. First St.      |-------------------------------|      take a f**k!     ~
San Jose, CA 95134     | Disclaimer: You mean my       |                       ~
408-943-2406 (w)       |   boss might read this?       |     Robin Williams    ~
415-964-9377 (h)       | Nah - he forgot his password! |                       ~

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (12/02/88)

In article <119@sixwbn.UUCP> walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) writes:
<In article <618@cb.ecn.purdue.edu> zentner@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Zentner) writes:
<>
<>I have two questions about Microsoft pageview.  Has anyone had any
<>luck making a printfile for the Apple Laserwriter, transferring
<>it to a UNIX system, and printing it via a command like:
<>
<>	lpr -Pname -l file

Yes, all the time.  But not using Microsoft pageview.

<
<The Apple Laserwriter interfaces serially, and expects the driver to under-
<stand XON/XOFF.  I had a similar experience trying to make a Laserwriter
<talk to a PC until I installed a program which makes the PC serial port
<understand XON/XOFF (not the PC default).  Symptome were identical to those
<you describe.  If this is a first installation on yoyr Unix box, you might
<want to check the `stty -a` output and verify that the port is set for
<"IXON -IXANY".  Hope this helps.

The other problem may be that the pageview program may not be putting out
the PostScript header information correctly.  If the initial set of commands
for the printer are missing, the body just won't print.  I have run across
programs that don't create standalone PostScript files that work.

I do know that the PostScript output from Microsoft Windows to a file to the
4.3BSD Unix to the Apple LaserWriter Plus is correct.  So Microsoft does
know how to do it.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown