[comp.sys.ibm.pc] *GA and TC

mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) (11/30/88)

. Is VGA backward compatible with EGA?

. If not, does Turbo C support VGA?
and
. What of IBMs forthcoming ?GA graphics?

bank@csclea.ncsu.edu (Lord Ralter) (11/30/88)

In article <422@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
>. Is VGA backward compatible with EGA?
>
>. If not, does Turbo C support VGA?
>and
>. What of IBMs forthcoming ?GA graphics?
   It actually depends on the adapter. MOST VGA boards ARE downwardly
compatible. Only incredibly cheap ones aren't.

   You'll have to ask Borland about Turbo C. I suspect it very
much depends on which version you have (1.0, 1.5, or 2.0).

   Who knows what IBM will do next?????

Dave
bank@csclea.UUCP

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/01/88)

TC v1.5 supports VGA EGA, CGA, MCGA, Hercules; presumably v2.0 does as
well.  V1.0 didn't have graphics support.

The graphics support includes testing the video type and loading an
appropriate driver at run time.  Or a specific driver can be
"hard"-linked in.

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (12/01/88)

In article <422@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
>. Is VGA backward compatible with EGA?
>
>. If not, does Turbo C support VGA?
>and
>. What of IBMs forthcoming ?GA graphics?

VGA is backwards compatible with EGA (i.e. supports EGA modes).  However,
I don't think this means that you can hook up an EGA only monitor to a
VGA card (or a VGA monitor to an EGA card)  : not referring to the multi-
frequency monitors.

Cannot answer the other questions.

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vg55611
Internet: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vg55611@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vg55611%ihuxy@research.att.com"

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/88)

>VGA is backwards compatible with EGA (i.e. supports EGA modes).  However,
>I don't think this means that you can hook up an EGA only monitor to a
>VGA card (or a VGA monitor to an EGA card)  : not referring to the multi-
>frequency monitors.

VGA is NOT - repeat - NOT - entirely compatible at the programming
level with the EGA. It has one important gotcha. There is a bit,
the high order bit (128's bit) of the vertical retrace end register,
which is at 0x3d5 after 0x11 is sent to 0x3d4, which if set disables
writing to a whole bunch of other registers.

You have to clear this bit before reprogramming the VGA.

Otherwise, it seems to emulate the EGA fine.

tkopp@carroll1.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (12/02/88)

In article <422@babbage.acc.virginia.edu>, mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
> . Is VGA backward compatible with EGA?

Yes, almost any VGA board will run EGA software.  I do suggest, however, that   you try at least a piece or two of the software you will be using on your
expected VGA board/monitor combination.  I also suggest picking up a copy of
the December issue of PC World magazine...they do a review of VGA hardware and
it is based on their choices that I have chosen the equipment I plan on buying.
> . If not, does Turbo C support VGA?
I don't know.  Call Borland's support number, (I don't have it, but you should
be able to get it at a dealer) and ask 'em.
> and
> . What of IBMs forthcoming ?GA graphics?
Well, if you mean software support, they put the technology out, I'm sure they
will support it.  If you mean next 'standard', I am of the opinion that VGA
will last quite a while.  Get a good monitor and you can be sure your
monitor will handle the next standard as well.

Hope this helps.

--
{backbone}!marque!carroll1!tkopp            |  "One cannot truly enjoy
tkopp@carroll1.UUCP                         |  idling unless one has